Silverfish, Bristletail which is which?!

Posts and messages about the insects, spiders, caterpillars, worms, larvae etc..

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Silverfish, Bristletail which is which?!

Post by Conchiolin » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:59 pm

Hi guys i'm sure you've seen countless of silverfish during your long lives but me? Well I'm still a Teen enjoying my youth so yeah i have a problem confusing bristletails and silverfishes! Can anyone post a pic of the silverfish? I have a pic is it of the silver-fish or of a bristle-tail?

Thanks guys.
Attachments
HPIM2658.JPG
Notice the three tails.
HPIM2658.JPG (354.03 KiB) Viewed 28577 times
no man needs a holiday as much as the man who just had one.

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:53 am

erm.... what is a bristletail?
:oops:

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Post by Conchiolin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:09 am

Haha knew it! A bristletail is a relative of the silver-fish. They really look alike. Everytime a guy sees a grey insect he screams:
"LOOK A SILVERFISH" but no it could be either a bristle-tail or a silver-fish. The picture i posted i think is the bristle-tail. Look at the tail of the insect. If you look at it closely you will see bristles on his tail. Yes the photo sucks so you won't notice them.

What i want is perhaps the species name of the bristle-tail and a picture of a silver-fish.

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Post by Conchiolin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:24 am

Don't be ashamed Pine i think there are few people that know that there are bristle-tails and silverfish in their homes. :-D

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:50 am

prosit! just learned some more about our insects!

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:08 pm

It would appear that silverfish ARE bristletails:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristletail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish

RB

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Post by Conchiolin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:11 pm

OOOOO wait a second now it's clearer to me... Thanks Mr.RB. Bristletails is a synonm to the order Thysanura. But still i have seen different species of this order at home. Example firebrats, silverfish, and others.

Ok i screwed up the photo i posted yes it was that of a bristle-tail and of the House Silverfish: Ctenolepisma longicaudata. But hey i was right about the fact that there are a lot of species under the order Thysanura. There are 10 species one of which is endemic sooooooooooooooooo...............

Imma insomma amilt froga tajba bil-malti.

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:58 pm

Conchiolin ....the moment you post a close up of a wirdiena we will have to have a vote on whether to chuck you out or not....ha ha !!!

wolf

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Post by Conchiolin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:54 pm

That's not a wirdiena my friend although i do have something similar to that. The field cockroach. It's just like a wirdiena but smaller.

:lol: :lol:

Do you have a phobia of some sort wolf? If so you're not alone. I hate cockroaches. I recall one nasty experience. I was mixing up straw for my mushroom compost and out came this huge egyptian cockroach. I screamed like an idiot and ran for my life!

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:57 pm

heh you must come to my house than.
one of my cats has trained itself in catching cockroaches, and I believe she is an expert. The problem is that she brings them alive for you to kill them!

:)

I hate the summer months.

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:20 pm

oh I know the one in the photo is no cockroach but yes I do have an aversion to cockroaches since I am invariably the one who has to kill them when they show up at home...however comtec have done good job and havent seen one for some time now

like pine i do not like the summer months so much - mostly because of the heat and the fact that most plant life goes dormant

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Post by Conchiolin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:10 am

Can't say the same about insect life! Mud daubers, potter wasps, assasin bugs, praying mantis, dragonflies and damesflies, ants, nasty cocktail ants, moths, I'll probably doze off if i mention 4 more.....