Phryneta leprosa. beware

Posts and messages about the insects, spiders, caterpillars, worms, larvae etc..

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Phryneta leprosa. beware

Post by Conchiolin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:32 pm

Recently this species was introduced with some imported wood and (i am very angry about this we should invest our money to prevent the introduction of such species). I had 3 tree nice growing Morus nigra (sigra tat-tut) one of them was 60 years old!! Now they're dead and only 1 remains.

The bug buries inside the trunk and the the trunk within a year becomes swiss cheese! :evil: :evil:

Read about the morus nigra on:
http://www.agric.gov.mt/Documents/Biedj ... r%2005.pdf

and about the b"""""tard bug on the following:
http://www.agric.gov.mt/Documents/Biedj ... ju%2004.pd

One should really take care of his morus nigra and if you have one be sure to check out how to control these bugs. (not very effective in my opinion).

If maybe one has the picture of the larva or the bug. What really befuddles me is that this bug managed to kill 3 morus nigra and i never got to see the bug.

And finally sorry if the mags are in maltese and sorry if i have no pics but (you could at least look how it likes by downloading the mags).

Take care of your morus.
Tchuss, goodbye and aufwiedersehen!
no man needs a holiday as much as the man who just had one.

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:08 pm

let it not be said that you ever post boring stuff conchiolin ...I am very sorry for your loss ...it is tough to lose a sixty year old tree to an invisible bug - way back in feb i got to see seedlings of salvja tal-madonna growing from drying seed pods at wied incita ( where else !! ) in a very humid part of the valley ...since they were rooting already i took the whole seed pod and planted them and i am guarding them as if they were my offspring and i hope to have a fully grown plant perhaps in a year or two....

my point - genuinely soryy to read your post - maybe you shud report to the agriculture people - although they are apparently aware of it from your post

wolf

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Post by Conchiolin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:31 pm

I'm very happy for your salvja (Phlomis fruticosa, right?), interesting plant esp flower.

I'm very hurt indeed the tree was planted by my grand who passed away.

I see you really like wied incita and i'm very happy about it. perhaps we should call you the Wied Incita guardian. :)

Yes they are aware of this bug and i can tell you if the bugs continues to spread like this, the morus nigra will be wiped out of Malta.

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:40 pm

I am experiencing similar problems, but not on Tut but on almond trees. Don't think its the same bug, as the bugs are small maybe up to 10mm long, but the damage is just as extensive, I have had old trees "beheaded" by these bugs, and others were completely lost.

I am using encapsulated delayed release insecticide, but mainly this is to prevent the adult from laying more eggs for the next gen, as the larvae in the wood is almost unstoppable. Almost... I find where the frass is being ejected (sawdust and sticky stuff, the tree becomes like a pasta/mince meat machine) poke the hole and apply the sprayer directly to the hole.

It works sometimes, if the bug is downwards from the exit hole, but there are often zillions of bugs so its a slow process without guarantees.

Incidentally I also had a Tuta dead to the stump, but this has sprouted again from the base.

Taking notice of older Tut trees, I do note that many of them have at one point or another completely died back and the present growth being stump sprout, as it were. This applies to large-ish trees, ie the new growth is now already old, where they show evidence of a "past life" with a generally sawn off much older main trunk.

Seems like a subject for www.maltagardening.com rather than www.maltawildplants.com ;-)

RB

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Post by Conchiolin » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:27 am

Yes you're right RB my intentions were to sound the alarm about this bug and perhaps get a photo of the larvae or the bug itself.

I didn't know about maltagardening so thanks :-D

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:14 am

I think that if there is evidence of a problem on a Tuta, it would be a good idea to saw it to the stump or almost, as it would then regrow seeing as they do this almost naturally.

I once had problems with beetles similar to what you are describing, but the antennae seemed (from memory) to be longer, sweeping back more rearwards than the rear of the insect, ie quite a bit longer than the insect itself. The adult, was about 50 mm in length (body exc antennae). This was on a pear tree, about 30 foot high, again this was so badly damaged that it just collapsed. I remember having looked up the bug on a book, and it said it was "rare".

Some feking consolation ehh?? I just wish it was rarer!!

RB

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Post by Conchiolin » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:04 am

The pear tree borer matches exactly the description you gave me : Cerambyx nodulosus it's frequent and yeah it does a lot of damage it is known as "Susa tal-Langas".

I seriusly think you're right about the suggestions you're giving i think they are helpful and i thank you again.
Those insect pests really bring the worst out of me! :evil:
If i see another morus nigra being attacked i'll fumigate it with sulphur dioxide or chlorine. Forgot to say the bug may also feed on the morus alba (cawsli). Anyhow i don't wish to deviate from the subject so if anybody has additional information about this beetle or pics anything relevant about it .............

Thank you all.

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Post by Conchiolin » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:50 am

HAHAHAHA :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Gottcha!! Little pestilenitial larva:

Here's the larva of the bug that killed my tree:
Attachments
HPIM2550.JPG
Damage done to the tree:
HPIM2550.JPG (515.56 KiB) Viewed 20810 times
HPIM2613.JPG
Fat white larva feeding on the remains of the tree. Wait till you see the Bug!!
HPIM2613.JPG (408.19 KiB) Viewed 20810 times