Phoenician Juniper- Native, Naturalised, what?

Post anything you like about the flora of the Maltese islands.

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

RB
Premium Member

Phoenician Juniper- Native, Naturalised, what?

Post by RB » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:39 am

I found some specimens growing on rock, definitely not man-planted as some were in tiny cracks...

In the vicinity, were also some halepensis which were self-propagating, on the rock(!), and there was also a juniper within an enclosed (walled) private area.

So maybe it is self-spreading from cultivation, but I would wish to know if any info about this is available.

RB
Attachments
phoenician juniper 2.JPG
phoenician juniper 2.JPG (140.11 KiB) Viewed 72302 times
phoenician juniper 1.JPG
phoenician juniper 1.JPG (121.08 KiB) Viewed 72302 times

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:10 pm

I was told that J. phoenicea is naturalized in Malta but have never seen it. Where is that pop?

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:16 pm

Wardija. To get to the place, you need to be a bit, ahemm, "imaginative" is the safest way to place it. Tip- Not far from the pop of Ballut, the old ones - but on high ground.

It's a very interesting place as the "setup" ensures that apart from hunters, the place is relatively undisturbed.

It's also very interesting because it's likely the only place I have seen where the abovementioned halepensis is spreading and very actively taking over a rocky plateau, lots of little and not so little seedlings, and small trees.

Same with the juniper, but much more reduced activity.

RB

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:38 pm

thanks a lot. I never lacked imagination and if you refer to climbing or trespassing Im the man. :lol:

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:45 pm

hehehehe wonderful you understand perfectly hahahha I cant stop laughing, I could write something else but maybe it would not be good for MWP and this post would be deleted hahahaha

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:09 pm

RB - It is obvious you have never met Sdravko - the man who can turn walking on the pavement into a danger-filled endeavour
Hi Sdravko - heard you are back in Malta

wolf

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:28 pm

no, im back in Germany. Its a pity i could not meet some of you guys but since the meeting was for my last saturday i had no chance to think about a new day. howewer, ill be back.
walking on the pavement is more dangerous then rockklimbing. imagin all the dog crap, the cat food and the overflowing gutters. :D

Zurrija

Old oaks

Post by Zurrija » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:06 pm

Please could some of you expain in details how to get to the place with ancient holm oaks. I ask detailed explanations as I am not familiar with Malta north and never been to Wardija/Bidnija.
Respectfully yours,
Svetlana Vella A.

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:20 pm

Ahemm, this also requires a little bit of imagination ;-)

It is otherwise very difficult to explain, maybe one day someone will be able to show you, I leave it to others maybe they can do better than me.

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:19 pm

yes, a lot of imagination. But its worth the trouble.
Once i had to guide a group of noisy, exited students there and i still wonder how the owner did not shoot us. :D :D :D

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:31 pm

Well it is difficult to explain. It is a very strange place - a sort of tiny Buskett.

MWP admin
Site Admin

A detaile pic of the tree

Post by MWP admin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:54 pm

Here is a detailed pic of the fruit and leaves. There is a naturalized population (at least one very big tree - 4-5m high) wth numerous younger trees (1m) escaping towards the wild maquis of Wardija.

I CANNOT tolerate that a tree paradise like here is 'sort of' reserved for hunters. Many trees had those strings with empty vessels and several 'duri' around. If we have plenty of such areas (easy accessible) and they reserve few for hunters that's fine, but not all woodland (except buskett) is becoming hunter property.

Maybe I should invest in a fake shotgun and pretend to be a hunter so as I feel home while exploring plants and trees.
Attachments
Juniper.jpg
Ripe fruit are brown and can be crushed with fingers to give an aromatic smell. Gin is made out of it.
Juniper.jpg (259.85 KiB) Viewed 72254 times
Last edited by MWP admin on Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:00 pm

for confrontation with hunters i would recommend a real shotgun. :D
but i realized most of them are much more afraid of a camera :lol: :lol: :lol: