an ornamental especially for wolf

Some fun for the hard working botanists and green fingered. A sort of posting Quiz and educative posts. N-Joi...

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

jackpot
Botanical Expert

an ornamental especially for wolf

Post by jackpot » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:59 pm

:wink: ...is sometimes naturalised close to urban areas (what means everywhere in Malta :D ) but not really invasive.
Attachments
9822.jpg
9822.jpg (196.66 KiB) Viewed 26405 times

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:21 pm

wow, beautiful
no idea obviously!

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:56 pm

I am 100% sure that you know the plant :)

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:27 pm

beats me too....

wolf

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:07 am

Usually, the flower is almost closed, and will open for about 1 hour in full sun only- plant belongs to a family with species with inconspicuous flowers!

robcar
Veteran member

Post by robcar » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:54 am

Antigonon leptopus?

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:43 am

bravooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :wink:
I hope that wolf will change his mind about ornamentals- they are so important to people- here a short section from my introduction to the "Ornamental Plants of Malta":
...Many Maltese do not have much interest in plants and botanical knowledge is scarce. When talking to them it quickly becomes obvious that this lack of knowledge is not due to insensibility, but to the lack of information: there was simply no chance for botanical interest. Wild plants deserve our regard and interest, from both tourists and Maltese. There is a chance only when man is awake and does not sleep away natures doom. Only interest can initiate care. “Ornamental plants”, therefore, is a vehicle in order to convey a first concern for plants and nature to heart and brain. This, eventually, will also serve the inconspicuous wallflower in the wild...

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:12 pm

an introduction worthy of a professor :)
Congrats, awaiting your next book now

I have a clear lack of knowledge about ornamentals

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:06 am

:oops: thanks :wink:

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:27 pm

What I am afraid is that the some ornamentals can pose a threat to some indigeneous plants and may take their place.

What I personally dont like about ornamentals is that floral importers always bring new species in the country (from cheapest sources possible) and one can never know if there are new plant diseases in the stock such as fungal spores or viruses which can have a negative effect both on local flora and agriculture.

My opinion, under the hat of MWP admin, is to make aware the beauty of certain indeginous plants and propagate these.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:07 pm

admini- no doubt that you are right about invasive plants, but how many ORNAMENTALS you know, except Eucalyptus, Casuarina, Tamarix or Ipomoea indica, which are invasive? I think that other ones are more bad (remember Oxalis pes-caprae or Aster squamatus) than Cycas or the sausage tree :wink: , and remember the vehicle function!

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:31 pm

Not much, its true, but we dont know what in the future would be imported! Money has spoiled sports, nature landscape, TV programs, anything.

I was more enphasizing on the disease aspect. There is already problem of introduced diseases with imported agriculture products that they should have disease-free certification, and as far as I know, those who import ornamentals dont bring any certifications (to cut the costs.)
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:52 am

Chasmanthe, Freesia, Pittosporum, Myoporum, Cardiospermum, Lantana, Agave, Acacia, Opuntia, Carpobrotus, Mirabilis and many other ornamentals are more or less invasive in Malta. Many others are naturalized and can become invasive in future.
Still, this is no reason to avoid exotic ornamentals. But admini, you are right that indigenous plants should get a wider recognition in landscaping and gardening. Unfortunately, there are too few sources for such material. lets hope Elena will be able to start a prospering business with propagation and sale of indigenous plants.