Maybe someone more expert from me can give a better explantion of what is actually happening, becasue this is just my personal observation.
The dark side of nature - but every species struggles to survive
- CaterpillarParasite.jpg (208.51 KiB) Viewed 13603 times
I wonder what is the bioloical relationship / explanation here. To say the truth, the caterpillar does not seem injured
Update of the photo above:
After 2 days the caterpillar died and the coccons are there adhered to the surface of the wall (actually a large pot). I could not see any perforations in the caterpillar body (or at least any green oozing)?! So probably the parasite larvae were small enough to dig out the caterpillar without much harm! As I said it kept alive for 2 days in the same spot near the cocoons that gave me the impression it is taking care of them!!
I keep an eye on the yellow pupae !!
- Anothe victim of the Paper wasp - pic 1
- WaspCaterpillar1.jpg (197.82 KiB) Viewed 13581 times
- Another victim of the Paper wasp - pic 2
- WaspCaterpillar3.jpg (121.37 KiB) Viewed 13580 times