The destiny of some white cabbage caterpillars

Posts and messages about the insects, spiders, caterpillars, worms, larvae etc..

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

MWP admin
Site Admin

The destiny of some white cabbage caterpillars

Post by MWP admin » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:29 pm

Some caterpillars do not form pupa of their own species but they become parasitised by some other insect (probably a wasp) which lays its eggs inside and then the hatched larvae somehow come out the poor caterpillar and form their pupae outside. The caterpillar was still twiggling alive when this photo was taken.

Maybe someone more expert from me can give a better explantion of what is actually happening, becasue this is just my personal observation.

The dark side of nature - but every species struggles to survive

tnx
Attachments
CaterpillarParasite.jpg
CaterpillarParasite.jpg (208.51 KiB) Viewed 15154 times
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:11 am

About 30hrs from the photo and post above, I noted that the caterpillar is still there and alive, as if even taking care of these bright yellow cocoons.

I wonder what is the bioloical relationship / explanation here. To say the truth, the caterpillar does not seem injured :!:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

Ke!tH

Post by Ke!tH » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:16 am

As far as I know, some species of wasps lay their eggs inside a caterpillar to ensure that the young have plenty to eat on until they undergo metamorphosis. (like when a cabbage butterfly lays its eggs on a cabbage leaf)
Did you actually see the insect penetrate the caterpillar or what Steve?

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:31 am

No, but prev day I saw the paper wasp attacking a caterpillar to death (nibbling his neck). Do not know if he was feeding on it or an exagerated attempt to nest which attacke resulted in the death of the caterpillar ?! See pics below

Update of the photo above:

After 2 days the caterpillar died and the coccons are there adhered to the surface of the wall (actually a large pot). I could not see any perforations in the caterpillar body (or at least any green oozing)?! So probably the parasite larvae were small enough to dig out the caterpillar without much harm! As I said it kept alive for 2 days in the same spot near the cocoons that gave me the impression it is taking care of them!!

I keep an eye on the yellow pupae !!
Attachments
WaspCaterpillar1.jpg
Anothe victim of the Paper wasp - pic 1
WaspCaterpillar1.jpg (197.82 KiB) Viewed 15132 times
WaspCaterpillar3.jpg
Another victim of the Paper wasp - pic 2
WaspCaterpillar3.jpg (121.37 KiB) Viewed 15131 times
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

Lisa