Nest of a potter wasp?

Posts and messages about the insects, spiders, caterpillars, worms, larvae etc..

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Nest of a potter wasp?

Post by Conchiolin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:34 pm

Hi all. Erm i found this at buskett forest on a rubble wall. I really want to know if it's the art of the potter-wasp cause it really resembles it the thing is it was in a rather concealed place not so visible usually it is. Have you ever seen anything like this?

One thing that bothered me are the huge amount of ticks in that area. Yes ticks!! I had 4 sticking on my right leg and i didn't have a clue about it all. Has it ever happened to you especially in summer when hiking?

Professional advice is appreciated!

Here's the photo:
Attachments
HPIM2412.JPG
Looks like a vase sealed at the top.
HPIM2412.JPG (340.13 KiB) Viewed 20228 times
no man needs a holiday as much as the man who just had one.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:03 pm

My advice is personal experience, nothing professional.

A)
I have been bothered by those relatively big flat ticks (c. 7mm) but apart the itch, I never experienced any harm. Saying this, be aware that some disease were in the past transmitted by ticks (eg Rat -> Tick -> Human) as it is thought to be the case for pest.
So dont be too kind :-)

B)
I have seen that type of wasp's nest, even in few ocassions at the terrace of our house. There are 5 or 6 species of Potter Wasps which are very similar to each other and builds such type of upside-down vase-like nest made of mud which when solidifies it is hard to break. The Eumenes lunulatus is the most common species. Aparentely, it fills the hole with some caterpillars, lays one egg and seals the nest. When the egg hatch, it finds itself in a fridge full of food :lol: I assume that the young adult is able to nibble the wall and get free.

The wasps and bees are incredibly interesting organisms - each species (or genus) have a 'story' to tell about their life cycle and habit.
Last edited by MWP admin on Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:03 pm

PS That's a good photo for Maltawildplants.com! I would have said perfect if you removed that dried grass or stalk from over it. 8)
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Post by Conchiolin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:15 pm

Thanks for the advice man. No mercy for those bloody blood sucking bas***ds.

Luckily I marked the point where i found that with a very peculiar stone next time i go there i 'll look for it and give it another photo.

The real problem is getting a picture of the potter wasp now. :)

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:06 pm

Have seen those mudhouses several times usually in dry places (heh makes sense hux...)

Re ticks, don't know about the itch MWP, you sure you talking about ticks? Ticks don't itch, in fact as Conchy says you do not even realise that they have grabbed you until you are in the shower and feel/see something that was not there yesterday...

I only ever got a couple once when sheltering from the rain in a small room apparently well frequented by cows, in Sicily. I only noticed, as above, and only visually, you see a reddish patch and you try to remove what you think is a scab, but realise it isn't.

As an aside, there is a cow farm just above Buskett on the Clapham Junction side, so that may be the source of yours, Conchy.

Rb

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:54 pm

conch - if you are coming to the protest on monday timliniex kollha baqq ta !!! ( is that what a tick is ? ) seriously last time i was in qammieh i started to feel this pain on my tit and when i got home i realised there was a tiny (2-3mm) reddish spiderlike creature attached to my nipple - it was painful to detach and it had probably drank a pint of my blood - so is that a tick ?

and by the way there are certainly no cows at qammieh - just a giebja and wild beautiful rocky landscape

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Post by Conchiolin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:51 pm

HAAAAA!!

Perhaps the administrator is talking about fleas but RB is right no itching no nothing at all.

Yes a tick is an arachnid so it may look like a spider like creature wolf :lol: dude i can't stop laughing (sorry). That really must have hurt and it made it's way up there without being detected. Ticks live everywhere why? for the simple reason that rats live everywhere we have this field at chadwick lakes there are no farms in the vicinities and ticks are as common as dirt around there.In summer it's like walking in the amazon with leeches everywhere.

They're really disgusting creatures i hate them so much. Yours was a very small tick wolf. In grassy areas they attach themselves to a leaf blade waiting for you to come into contact with it.

What's quite interesting is if that you spot one and example put a finger very far from it on the ground, it will change its direction and head towards your finger or shoes or whatever the part of your body that is touching the ground. They do this by sensing heat or carbon dioxide produced

They're well adapted to this job. But as the Administrator said they can be dangerous hosts of certain diseases perhaps most infamous is the Lyme disease.

Woow all of you guys seem to have a lot of experience!

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:55 am

that explains it conch - because at qammieh i remember distinctly i was lying on the ground in a grassy place (actually almost a sort of wetland) so that is where the bugger got me ...and yes if you want to laugh some more it hurt bad !!

MWP admin
Site Admin

Thicks Mites Fleas .... all suckers

Post by MWP admin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:23 am

You put me a bit in doubt, but for the itch I am not referring to the jumping flea, but to the 8-legged Arachnida member. The question is if it was ticks or mites (or they are the same ?)

However I correct my prev statement regards plague (pesta) and that was transmitted from rat to human by fleas not ticks. Sorry!
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/plague/cheob6x4.htm

I dont have much experiences of mites/ticks but the itch I mentioned is probably when the creature is moving on my skin. I have very sensitive skin and can feel any hijacker.

As you are saying, it makes sense the the blood sucking process do not make any itch otherwise the thick is soon discarded by the host (thankfully the mosquitos did not get this habit).

I never found a tick dangling on some part of my skin, but I recall removing such 8-l creatures from my legs or arms in the field after sensing an itching sensation.

Here are 2 photos from the archives describing most of what has been said. Maybe someone can tell us the species (or Genus)
Attachments
Mite2.jpg
Waiting anxiously for the assault
Mite2.jpg (348.72 KiB) Viewed 20203 times
Mite1.JPG
Sorry it was windy and dull (Jan 07)
Mite1.JPG (184.69 KiB) Viewed 20203 times
Last edited by MWP admin on Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

MWP admin
Site Admin

Diseases caused by ticks and mites.

Post by MWP admin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:38 am

Ticks
  • Generally
    Tick Paralysis, Tick Dermatosis
    Hard Ticks
    a. Fevers –> Q, Rocky Mountain Spotted, African Tick, Colorado Tick, Hemorrhagic, Viral Meningoencephalitis
    b. Lyme dse, Tuleramia, Babesiosis
    Soft Ticks
    Fevers –> Q, Endemic Relapsing
Mites
  • Itch Mite (Scabei)
    Scabies (vesicles, scratching, 2ry B. infection)
    Hair Follicle Mite (D. Follicrum)
    Acne, Black Heads, Blepharitis
    Red Mite (T. Akamushi)
    Dermatitis, Rash, Punched-out Ulcer
    House Dust Mites
    Dermatitis, Bronchial Asthma, Rhinitis, Conjunctival Itching
    Storage Mites
    Dermatitis, Digestive & Respiratory Symptoms, Conjunctival Itching

PS: So maybe I was referring to mites reg. the itch and never experienced a thick?!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:25 am

Not sure of the scale, but a common plant pest is called the "red spider mite" so that may be worth looking up to check if that is what is in your pics above.

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:52 am

No, the red spider mite - Tetranychus telarius is very small 2mm max. From the leaves in the pic, i would say that the organism is about 6mm c.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator