Site registration, membership

Sumbit requests of what you would like to see in the website.

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

RB
Premium Member

Site registration, membership

Post by RB » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:17 pm

Stephen, PHPBB allows you to define user "groups" with varied privileges.

Thus you could restrict e.g. the "location" section to trusted members only, not just anyone who registers.

In effect access to various parts of the forum could be in "levels" with reference to the sensitive parts.

As an aside, PHPBB is supremely "hackable" both by malicious individuals and automated bots, and security measures are not a bad thing, or at least decent backups.

Ronald

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:03 pm

Yes I know, after 1 year experience. I simply dont have time RB! I backup every week and hope no evil happens.

Regards levels and privellages... This was already discussed in some post. My problem and concerns was what criteria makes a user privileged from others??

What I had in mind is that those who offer some contribution donations and the botanical experts (JP, HCW, EDWIN, SDRAVKO, etc) will be the privellaged ones. What do you think ?
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:46 am

I can understand what you mean about the time!

Re the levels, it's not so much about "privileges" but about "trust".

Right now (correct me if I am wrong) anyone can register, confirm his email, and have access to the plant locations section.

Also in future there may be the requirement for other sensitive sections, with levels you could decide who could see what.

Just my 2c as the americans like to say.

R

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:17 pm

Again, what criteria should I use to trust User A but not user B to give him a certain rank, for example as you are suggesting view the location topic.

If User A joins in and tells me that he/she wants to access the locations topic, what should I do? Make an interview, ask for a CV??? :lol:

The thing works that there will be a membership fee, as low as the the price of comemrcial burger (except the experts) and those who are not really interested will not bother to join.

I want also to remind you that there are books* and sites on mepa which publish the locations of the plants too.

*Professor H.C.Weber have just release a fantastic book about Maltese flora that you should buy (Hi profs! :wink: )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW - this is not a private converstaion between I and RB, opinions of others are welcomed.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:35 pm

Well, if you do a questionnaire it should be very easy, otherwise you would loose all the scope of the site and forum. The forum should be a place where you can learn on plants. If just the more experienced enter, it will be just a sort of 'preaching to the converted'.

As it is for me it is perfect. Any donations, will help you go up a rank (be it financial or anything else) :lol:

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:53 pm

I agree pine regards the scope and rankings. The questionaire you suggested is too much time demanding for me (and maybe also for the registrant). An online questionaire can be filled with lies so has no value.

The donations thing is fair enough for both me the developper of this forum (who unfortunately is soon becoming jobless) to cope with the expenses involved and the user who may give any contribution he feels to according his income for the fun and benefits he gets from this forum.

Donors will be preferred from non donors when it comes to ceratain activities, offers, etc.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator