Dactyloctaenium aegyptium - F07-007a (New species for Malta)

Online publications of important updates in the flora of Malta during the field research of MaltaWildPlants.com (by Stephen Mifsud)

Moderator: MWP admin

MWP admin
Site Admin

Dactyloctaenium aegyptium - F07-007a (New species for Malta)

Post by MWP admin » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:32 pm

Dactyloctaenium aegyptium (L.) Rich.

Citation:
Author: Stephen Mifsud
Title: Dactyloctaenium aegyptium
Publ: MaltaWildPlants.com Bulletin - MWP F07-007a
URL: www.maltawildplants.com/forum

Intellectual property rights reserved (c)
Attachments
MWP_F07-007a.pdf
MaltaWildPlants.com Bulletin

(if you cannot open the pdf, click right mouse button on download and select "save target as..." )
(283.77 KiB) Downloaded 1886 times
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:01 pm

Hmm... I have posted a first record of a (2) new species in the Maltese Flora, there were 20 downloads of the pdf, and not even a single comment.

What should I think??? :scratch:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:26 pm

hmmm, regarding your 1st sentence - congratulations :occasion5:

regarding your 2nd sentence - :( ......

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:44 pm

Thanks Pine. I believed that these are interesting bulletins and I am sharing with all members at my extra time and effort. So, a bit of enthusiasm from the members would help the motivation up. I am not begging for applause, but wondering why (re 2nd statement)

Maybe one still don't believe this finding - so I should add that my identification (after long hours at the Univ.) was confirmed by Mr. Lanfranco. I should also add again that in whole Europe it is only found in Sicily and Crete (and ex Yugoslavia?)

This is the 3rd first record of a species in Maltes flora, and the 4th might be round the corner with some luck.
Attachments
DactyloAegypt.jpg
Dactyloctaenium aegyptium, first record from Maltese islands by Stephen Mifsud
DactyloAegypt.jpg (58.61 KiB) Viewed 27113 times
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:52 am

MWP: sorry for my late comment. Due to difficult circumstances during the last 3-4 months I could watch 3 other topics of the forum marginally only for seconds and missed this topic, looks like the most important one, totally. Now, I am here :) , due to the link by Il-Pine to the Times of Malta and our correspondence in the other topics yesterday. So, first: My congratulation! I have never seen Dactyloctenium aegyptium in Europe, only in Florida (almost 1 m in height).

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:11 am

Thanks for the compliments, it is always motivating to hear some. Actually it was quite sad that after 20+ days from writing this post, no member has wrote a comment on this and probably (not yet decided) I will not write more bulletins here.

In early 1980s, a comprehensive book about the flora of Italy gives only 2 locations of this plant in Europe, that is Italy and Crete. Maybe over these 25 years it has spread elsewhere in South Europe, namely Spain. I am researchingabout the distribution of this plant in Europe for a scientific publication later on this year. The problem as usual is time. I am overlaoded with things (includng things that does not have anything to do with plants!)

A very curious thing is that this species has two taxons described by different authors - never happened to see this in my study! I think that the 2nd one is the correct name!

Dactyloctaenium aegyptium
Dactyloctenium aegyptium

BTW I assumed that you were busy lately :wink:

[/i]
Last edited by MWP admin on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:19 am

No, not busy, some other problems...(not important). Anyway, I know it as Dactyloctenium aegyptium.