And another tree for JP (with flower photos)

Forum dedicated to Ornamental plants, such as those found in Public gardens, houses, terraces, etc. Also include cultivated species such as those for agriculture or any other commercial use

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

MWP admin
Site Admin

And another tree for JP (with flower photos)

Post by MWP admin » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:58 am

I found this in Gozo and I believe it is something common, and probably not wild. Nice clusters of flowers, and forms berry type of fruit. Curious what it is. If difficult leave it
Attachments
OrnamentalGozo2.jpg
OrnamentalGozo2.jpg (169.55 KiB) Viewed 14612 times
OrnamentalGozo.JPG
OrnamentalGozo.JPG (226.74 KiB) Viewed 14612 times
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:07 pm

Melia azedarach

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:43 pm

Yes obviously exactly. Quite an attractive deciduous tree and relatively common, with potential for invasiveness. I have one I had grown from seed (well I actually probably have many since I am always killing seedlings) that has grown to about 25 feet high, with a approx 40cm trunk diameter.

It grows fast.

Provides useful summer shade and allows light through in the winter, and retains the berries all throughout the winter, dropping them around spring.

RB

HC Weber
Botanical Expert

Post by HC Weber » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Exactly, RB and jackpot are right!
:wink:
Melia azedarach L.
383, 384
English: Chinaberry, China Tree, Pride of India, Indian Lilac, Bead Tree, Texas Umbrella Tree
Main Synonyms: Melia australis Sweet, M. japonica G. Don and M. sempervirens Sw.
Family: Meliaceae (Mahogany family)
Country of origin: Himalaya (N India and W China).
Found in: Village squares or other different public places (e.g. Balluta Bay, St. Juliens), very rarely naturalised in or close to urban areas.
Occurrence in the Maltese Islands: Frequent.
Flowering time: Late spring-early summer.
Description: A deciduous round tree, reaching up to 14 m in height. The bark of the branches is a dark purplish-brown, dotted with grey lenticels. Leaves are alternate, doubly pinnate compound (having leaflets on leaflets), and 30-60 cm long. Leaflets are ovate to oblong, toothed and sometimes winged, 3-7 cm long. The leaf colour is dark glossy green above, and light greenish beneath, turns bright yellow before falling in autumn. The trees bloom with purple or lilac flowers, which are arranged in large panicles. The flowers of those fairly showy clusters are supported with 5 spreading petals surrounding a tube. The flowers are about 2 cm in width and aromatic. The fleshy fruits are yellowish-cream coloured when ripe. They are marble-sized round drupes, 1.5 cm in diameter, becoming brownish leathery, and hang attractively from the bare branches, throughout the winter. Fruits and seeds are very poisonous.
Remarks: The striking and colourful Chinaberry tree accepts a variety of soils. It can withstand some frost, and tolerate drought, full sun or partial shade. Because its seeds are spread by fruit-eating birds, Chinaberry can be invasive, growing in some Mediterranean regions as shrubby trees in waste yards and abandoned areas.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:13 am

Is the photo below also showing Melia azedarach ? (from Burmarrad road )
Attachments
IMG_5222.JPG
IMG_5222.JPG (248.03 KiB) Viewed 14595 times
IMG_5224.JPG
IMG_5224.JPG (164.91 KiB) Viewed 14594 times
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:03 am

Yes, but this one now grows slowly, coz very near by there's the speed camera ;-)

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:16 am

Hehe - good one!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator