Freshwater clams at mouth of Xlendi Valley before....

Write here your own ideas and practical suggestions of how to improve the Maltese Environment.

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

meril

Freshwater clams at mouth of Xlendi Valley before....

Post by meril » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:27 pm

Maybe not exactly the right forum for this subject

Upon scrolling quickly through the Mepa protected species document included in MaltaWildplants I suddenly stopped when strangely enough the arzella ta l-ilma helu ( pisidium casertanum) was included. A mistake or what since the only known populations of this used to exist in a small area in the mouth of the Xlendi Valley, before this area was obliterated to make space for that council project. I am not saying that the Xlendi project is not nice, but I am saying that considerable irrepairable damage was done to both flora and fauna. Upon writing to Mepa some years ago about the obliteration of the known population of this species, Mepa replied saying that I should consider the socio economic importance of the project rather than the biological importance of species. This is why I have formed a bad impression about Mepa as a nature conservative. Why obliterate a whole species and then declare it as protected?( or was it already protected? ) I suppose one remembers the uniqueness of the mouth of Xlendi valley in the Maltese islands in that it was the only watercourse flowing all year round (of course much decreased in summer) which watercourse passed through fine sandy soil before pouring to the sea.(as far as I know). I remember seeing these small fresh water clams
about 16 years ago. After the project, the water dynamics and vegetation had changed so much. It is incredible what a bulldozer can do in a couple of hours to what nature had done in thousands or more years!

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:32 pm

Very interesting report. Good place to post here.

I wonder what would Mepa reply back to this. I did not even know we had freshwater clams, and now, I and my daughter would never see one again at Xlendi, we would see the Local counsil building instead - interesting hux!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

Agelo Bartolo

Xlendi Valley

Post by Agelo Bartolo » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:43 am

Have a look at this link. Download this Powerpoint Show about the 'beauty' of Xlendi Valley

Thanks

Angelo

http://www.adgozo.com/?news=1273&sectio ... ype=SLIDES

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:05 pm

Thanks for sharing, you really care for environment!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}