Wied Babu - how about some "embellishment"???

Write here your own ideas and practical suggestions of how to improve the Maltese Environment.

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

Lisa

Wied Babu - how about some "embellishment"???

Post by Lisa » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:49 pm

A gem of a valley. And another shameful "embellishment". So much for the site being proposed as a Natura 2000 site. I thought the trapper on the site was already bad enough - but to add bulldozers and mounds of rubble on the Coronilla and the garigue is really too much.
I'd like to see more people voicing their concerns on such insensitive works. All reports to media and authorities and local councils have been lodged from our side but other voices are very welcome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:12 am

This forum topic is an ideal tool to spread such news fastly and easily - it was my scope and idea of creating it. Today modern world is much based on internet as a media.

Its easy to publish / make our voices heard and then its also easy to copy the link and email it to several authorities, local councils, etc both locally and also to foreign authorities.

So please support this topic maybe things starts shaking!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:17 am

Thanks Lisa for posting.

I agree with you that our mentality is still far behind from Eu objectives and well lets face it, if there is no law enforcment, there will be no mentality change. To enforce Law you need to patrol such sites, but when we start seeing the green wardens stationed in such sites? Its a chain reaction.

It happened that I was at weid Babu at that time and I heard the workers shouting from abobe

"Zuru ghax qed inadfu" = "move away since we are cleaning"

and then I heard noises of things falling down in the valley and trees. Actually they were not cleaning but dirtying the valley. But well what counts is that the contractor saved some money from transporting the rubble to an adequate site.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:35 pm

Nice to know you are here too "Lisa "...thought I knew you somewhere ...last time we met was at Ras il-Wahx and a day later at a mutual friend's wedding unless I am terribly mistaken !!
yes the rubble thrown on the garigue shows exactly our crude bulldozer methods when we go for such dubious " embellishment".
Where is MEPA Environment Protection in all this ? Dont they read the papers and does no one from this institution ever drive past the place to have a look at the sort of embellishment being perpetrated just below the four lane pavement ??

incredible.....

wolf

Lisa_

Post by Lisa_ » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:44 pm

hi wolf
hope u are not the one with the double personality ;)
speaking of which - am really pissed off as i LOST ALL PHOTOS i took on the day! i need to find a sponsor for a decent camera! now its too late for the coronilla and the other plant i guess...

joking...yes i thought it was you espeically whne i saw wied incita mentioned a bit often :) i still have to go there by the way! unless i wait till i get locked up for going crazy about this insane country...
The matter was reported to mepa and to press but we never got any feedback except from council who of course are happy with the project.
On another note i got to know that an enforcement notice had been issued (possibly aftre our report ) but cant understand what happened after as works continued as usual.
well, just the usual story

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:58 pm

Lisa
I suggest it is time to invest in a new camera - now they have become cheap and take very decent macro as well - mine packs in 7mp and cost lm149 - pretty cheap when three years back a 4mp model cost around lm270

if you need pics from ras il-wahx drop a line

wolf

Zurrija

Post by Zurrija » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:00 pm

When I was younger I used to share that opinion, that my native country (Russia) is in such a mess simply because the territory is too big and cannot be controlled well. But it seems that size of territory is not the answer :-)
When I came to settle in Malta I always lived in Zurrieq and by chance had quite some time to explore the village and its vicinity. Of course I coundn't miss Wied Babu. And I even started to recommend my friends and familiars to find time and go down this valley as its really something special. I always wanted to re-convince people who are sure that Malta is a barren piece of rock, that actually it can be very alive and green in some parts. Soon my "promotion" will be all over, unfortunately. I am very, very sad.
Respectfully yours,
Svetlana Vella A.

Lisa_

Post by Lisa_ » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:44 am

why not drop a line to the council and to the times?
the council told me that residents are all for this project and very happy with it bla bla bla
i think most people see me as an extremist and dismiss my letters but it would be good to have new voices heard :) am trying to convince my mum to write as well as the first time she came to malta she immediately loved this valley and also brought her own mother when she was in malta to the same valley.i took her down there some time ago despite the fact that she is now a bit old and she was angry at how it was transformed - similarly to what happend some years ago to wied zurrieq when the concrete "garden" was conbstucted over the garigue

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:19 am

Well said Lisa and Zurrija...

Just to point out that one can copy the URL (topic link address) of this topic and email it to the council so seeing that this is not an individual letter, but something seen by hundreds / thousands of people will make them more concerned.

You can copy the link from the "Address" at the top of the Internet Explorer when vieweing the particular post. this one should be:

http://maltawildplants.com/forum/viewto ... =2187#2187

So the trick is that you can write to local council your letter or email and additionally include the link and tell them that the news is spread over internet and rad by many!

If you plan to do so tell me so that I clear this entry. (it will be cleared automatically in 3 days)
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator