Where are our rare plants ?

Write here your own ideas and practical suggestions of how to improve the Maltese Environment.

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

greeny

Where are our rare plants ?

Post by greeny » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:04 pm

Q: Where are our rare plants ?

A: In the gut of these herbivores!

- an illegal act if course but who cares, who is watchinhg, who takes action if one reports.

Numerous meetings by local organisations of salvaging rare plants while these stupid things are going on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:06 pm

ejja naghmluhom stuffat!

Translation (not exactly) - let's cook them!

LR

Post by LR » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:53 pm

Can I ask a question here

What is so wrong about goats or whatever animal grazing?

That has been done for thousands of years as far as I know. Same thing as us eating salads, beef or fish.

So what is such a problem I ask?

And this is part of the whole ecocycle and natural habitats.

and myself do not like comments like make them stuffat and the like. I kill animals (well buy them ready killed and cleaned actually) for eating purposes and not because they are eating plants.

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:37 pm

you are absolutely right, LR. grazing done by domestic animals has been a part of these islands for thousands of years and most plant sp have adapted to that.
i dont want to start a discussion here about what is natural and if natural is good or not.
one problem with grazing is that it can be overdone and thus create quite poor plant communities.
i have seen places where grazing is a major threat to biodiversity and today Malta is definitely not one of them. I am happy every time i see grazing animals in Malta since even if heavy grazing might reduce the biodiversity locally (that is, on the plot grazed heavily) it will usually increase it regionally (that is, if you consider heavily grazed areas, not so heavily grazed ones, areas not accessible to grazing, areas which have been grazed until recently, areas where grazing has started recently and even places where animals only drink, walk, crap or rest).
in addition to that grazing produces characteristic and beautyfull landscapes which have their own charm. of course, nowadays you have to look hard for them in Malta, but they are still there.
since grazing was made illegal a few decades ago the flora has gone a long way towards recovery and nowadays you should appreciate the last free roaming flocks and their impact on the countryside as an important part of your cultural and natural heritage. There are more than enough severe enviromental problems in Malta so dont waste your energy in campains against grazing.