quiz

Some fun for the hard working botanists and green fingered. A sort of posting Quiz and educative posts. N-Joi...

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

wolf
Veteran member

quiz

Post by wolf » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:52 pm

I shot this last March and only identified it yesterday !!
What is it and where did I find it ?
It is an alien but naturalised in some gardens and bastions/
It is rare ...and of course I cropped out the flower though I guess Mr.Weber will still get it

wolf
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (90.4 KiB) Viewed 60888 times

MWP admin
Site Admin

F I X E D !

Post by MWP admin » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:55 pm

Its fixed wolf ! - Be happy now :P

I will later delete the last 4-5 posts to keep the topic tidy and to the point of the quiz.

I do not reckognize the plant but it reminds me of some close relative which is a garden / ornamental pant. No bells ringing at the time.
Last edited by MWP admin on Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

HC Weber
Botanical Expert

Post by HC Weber » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:48 am

Wolf- wow, what a tough nut to crack. You overestimate my knowledge, even with the flower, I think I do not know it. I try to approach: monocot (no!)- dicot (yes), if we divide the dicots in Ranunculidae (no!)-Caryophyllidae (no!)-Rosidae (yes?)-Asteridae (no!). Ok, Dividing the Rosidae: Geraniales (no!)-Malpighiales (could be)-Fabales (no!)-Malvales (could be)-Rosales (no!)-the others (no, I think). So far ok? I will stay tuned to it… :?

MWP admin
Site Admin

Malvaceae

Post by MWP admin » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:12 pm

From the several fruit forms I have seen in my research, I am quite confident that it is a member of the Malvaceae.

Despite the photo quality is not a state of art :oops: I would guess Abutilon spp. probably A. theophrasti

how hot are we?

With ref to prev message, I probably had in mind hibiscus ornamental..
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

HC Weber
Botanical Expert

Post by HC Weber » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:59 pm

Admin- I think Hibiscus is wrong (as well as Malvaviscus, which was my first impression) and Abutilon is hot, I am not convinced with A. theophrasti, which should have spiny appendages at the top of the carpels, I am somewhat irritated about the buds and the leaves... Wolf: is the flower small and yellow?
:?:

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:23 pm

yes MWP SPOT ON - abutillhon theophrasti it is
Weber - flower is small orange yellow...and you get full points for good detective work
It was shot in the so called mediterranean garden at Argotti
PROSIT - You both impress me and make me realize just how amateur I am...boo hoo :shock:

wolf

MWP admin
Site Admin

TNX

Post by MWP admin » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:13 pm

Don't Give up wolf :P

I wanted to ask you if you are planning to publish your many plant photos in a sort of a book ? I know that it will probably turn out to make a loss of money rather making a profit, but I think it is more a matter of pride than that of money.

The photo reminded me in the distance of theHibiscus Fruit
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:27 pm

no publishing in mind yet - just say it is satisfying curiosity - you know what it feels like to discover something you have never encountered ? it s the small thrill of finding fagonia cretica in good numbers in a far off site... to locate one of the few remaining plants of orchis italica and to wonder at how the very showy and large iris sicula still survives in a few places despite the destructive and selfish nature of most of our compatriot malltese gahan....
and yes to wonder and tremble at this irresistible force we call nature or life ..... get it MWP ??

ps we will organize another walk in spring and we will see exactly that - a veritable garden of coronilla valentina ...the perfume of which will make you swoon and a whole load of fagonia cretica ....plus a good population of euphorbia melitensis in flower ...and the last robinson crusoe of malta !!

if you guessed the location please dont mention it onlline .... it is an extremely sensitive area and not worth advertising to possibly destructive elements in our sick society

reason I am saying this is that I was in a particular valley this weekend and I noticed people are offroading for up to a mile up the
valley destroying the valley floor big time ...I can send you photos privately if you wish

wolf

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:08 pm

OH sure, I got it very well indeed, not else to add. Hope the old Gahan dies within the next decades, but I am afraid of the modern Gahan which is 1000 times worse from the traditional Gahan - hence politics, business and selling to the private to make up for the national deficit
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

jackpot
Botanical Expert

robinson crusoe

Post by jackpot » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:07 pm

What is "the last robinson crusoe of malta"? :?:

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:18 pm

Welcome to our Forum Jackpot. Hope you find it interesting.

Actually I did not understand that part myself wolf. Could you explain for us!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:13 pm

all will be revealed in due course MWP !!

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:38 pm

oh well....on second thoughts I will tell you
It is the dishevelled long haired man who chases people off " his " land in a remote western part of malta...one of the wildest places on the island

jackpot....welcome ! .... you wouldnt really like to meet him alone if you are used to civilised people

wolf

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:59 pm

LOL Wolf!!! I know who he is "Robinson Crusoe" ha ha!! 10 points for laughter

Jackpot, nothing interesting believe me!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:18 pm

Hey, I am Freitag, so I know robinson crusoe very well :lol: (Freitag in the german version, is his name Friday in english?) However, Wolf, ...and the last robinson crusoe of malta !! - is it a plant? Do you mean Cynomorium? You intrigued me... :roll:

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:07 pm

Well Wolf, your comment at the end of your contribution of Dec 05, 2005 10:27 pm, is a very important one. You noticed the destruction and you may say it, you have to say it. As foreigners, we have no right to do so, or at least we should not critisise and demonstrate "to be a know-it-all". I think the only thing we may do is to show natives their pearls (in the case I have the feeling that they do not know it). We need to interest people, we need to inform them. Then, we have a chance that they get involved with mother nature, finally that they lobby for plant protection, for life. By the way- this holds not only for Malta, it is a worlwide need.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:50 pm

Jackpot, that's the main aim of my site!! But there is a proverb that really applies to the Maltese stupards (=Stupid bastards) - who is born spherical does not die cubical, and I think it is a lost case before even fighting. All the efforts will fall in vain.

Most stupards are sellfish or poor, and they see the environment as opportunity of taking "bounty" (that they claim it is nobody's) from nature before someone else take it instead.

Examples of "bounty"

Rare (=attractive) flowers to sell or put in front of the Holy Mary (so as they get a virtue from her in return otherwise no deal dear Holy mary)

Birds to catch/shoot and sell as alive/stuffed

Fish (anything so far is marketable) to catch an eat

Wild rabbits, etc to catch and eat

A piece of land to build a garage or a bird trap

Prawns (gambli in Maltese) or earthworms to avoid buying bait

Snails to sell in bars and some restaurants

It is useless to fight this war since the stupards will always see the environment as easy money (aaah they wont admit it, they say its a folklore/hobby thing)
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

IL-PINE
Premium Member

il-Gahan Malti

Post by IL-PINE » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:08 am

Well it is true. Unfortunately we Maltese have a very small country with a large population. And besides it is a very lazy society. To get it whilst in a public garden in my home time, whilst sitting on a bench I noticed a whole lot of rubbish just behind my bench! Despite there being 5 rubbish bins surrounding me coloured in bright orange!

Then you have the rich person who just builds a villa in the middle of a garigue or valley, the shooter who shoots swallows for practice besides anything that flies, the trapper who destroys a whole patch of Cistus for laying his nets and things etc etc.

The mentality as a whole has to change from its basics and from also a politician point of view. For example the Ballut reserve in Marsaxlokk was declared a nature reserve in the 90s. Now it seems that you can enter easily because of neglect. There have to be stricter laws and monitoring!

The only good point is that there is a renewed interest in the nature aspect. For example since 1977 there have been no publishing of books related to flowers in general. Now, there have been 2 publications of photographs of wild plants in a span of a year. Some plants that have been regarded as extinct have been rediscovered. I hope that the awareness created by these publications and the awareness created by Stephen's site, may destroy a bit of this laziness and ignorance that has destroyed such a large piece of Maltese countryside in the last 50 years or so!

wolf
Veteran member

il-gahan malti

Post by wolf » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:06 pm

Jackpot - you have every right to pass comment and criticise especially since you seem to know Malta so well.
I see this thread has taken a political twist and why not ? I am sick to the bone of politicians of all colours paying lip-service to the environment and stopping there. I am sick of both major parties disagreeing on everything under the sun but then agreeing on hijacking two huge ( remember this is tiny Malta ) chunks of land for bloody golf ...do these people really believe the myth of the 30,000 visitors ? More like 30,000 pieces of silver of the judas variety to me !! I am sick of reporting illegalities and no action is taken. It will
take quite a few generations to get people environmentally educated and by then it may be too late. In my humble opinion some important countryside sites shud start being managed - doing things like controlling the spread of rubus and oxalis in valley beds ( apart from catching litter louts ) otherwise more species will be lost and our country becomes the poorer for it.
Of course in a bankrupt country this is difficult to achieve though in reality this is investment of sorts in our future ...so we prefer to beautify roundabouts instead.
There ....I feel better now !!
wolf

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:50 pm

Stephen, Il-Pine, Wolf: Yes, I agree with everything you wrote, and I could fill pages and pages with personal impressions and experiences relating to this discussion, in general. I hope that you 3 will be interested (and have the time) to meet my student group next spring for 1 or 2 hours in a bar to have discussions with them to this topic. Of course, you are welcome to participate one of our field trips. I will let you know our programme.
Pine: thank you that you bought the book…
By the way, we finished the manuscript in English for another one (a pocket book “Field Guide to the Flora of Malta”), introducing and describing 530 species with 625 pictures, but discussions with publishers are difficult.

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:20 pm

jackpot
I would be interested in both the beer and fieldwork - however I will freely admit I have never done fieldwork so dont know what it entails ...but I am sure it is interesting and educational
wolf