MWP Quiz 23 - Hairy Joe

Some fun for the hard working botanists and green fingered. A sort of posting Quiz and educative posts. N-Joi...

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:55 pm

robcar: :D :wink:
stapelia: I know, we have plenty species in cultivation, but I hate most of them (due to the ugly smell of the flower)- like a 6 months uncleaned restroom :lol:

I was asking because I never saw plants naturalised in Malta...

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:00 pm

especially horrible smell of this one... :wink:
Attachments
Stapelia arnotii Asclepidaceae.jpg
Stapelia arnotii Asclepidaceae.jpg (69.39 KiB) Viewed 10327 times

robcar
Veteran member

Post by robcar » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:11 pm

Thanks guys for the congratulations - I do know the plant - however this is mainly due to the fact that I have a small collection of succulents growing in pots on my roof terrace rather than due to my knowledge of botany - I had grown this plant a few years ago (and have recently obtained a couple of stem cuttings that I will plant when I have time) - as soon as MWP put the picture of the pattern of the perianth, it looked familiar.

Well jackpot, the flowers do stink - however Stapeliad flowers are fascinating in all respects - the huge size of the flowers of some species, their unusual colour, pattern and morphology, and why not, the smelly way they attract pollinators :)

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:41 am

I am glad the robcar said it, because I did not want to be lack of respect to him, but when I posted the perianth pattern, I was sure it would be of a very good hint to Stapelia owners. You can't mistaken them once you have them.

OK, like you Robcar, I find these flowers very beautiful (as one can see in the pic above) and now that we are discussing them, I don't mind their stinking smell of rotten dead matter. To defend the flowers, the smell is sensed only if you put your nose nearby, so not that they will putrify the air of your garden! It attracts numerous types of flies (not just the housefly), so ideal for any nature photographer.

For me, it is amazing to see the extent and perfect tactics that certain plants go to attract their polinators. 10 points for Stapeila for mimicing dead matter, and also 10 points to play a joke on the guests when I ask to smell the curious flower scent! :lol:

If someone is interested to have a budding piece, I bring it with me in the next activity for the forum members.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}