Leguminosae or Fabaceae

Some fun for the hard working botanists and green fingered. A sort of posting Quiz and educative posts. N-Joi...

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

MWP admin
Site Admin

Leguminosae or Fabaceae

Post by MWP admin » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:54 pm

I would like to know which is the recent and accept name for the Pea family in Latin -

Fabaceae or
Leguminosae
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

robcar
Veteran member

Post by robcar » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:15 pm

Hi Stephen. I think can help. You are right in questioning which term should be used, since both are so widely used.

The correct, accepted name for the legume family is Fabaceae. However although the name Leguminosae is technically incorrect, it is one of those names that has been used so often for so long that it is considered acceptable to use. Such names are said to be nomenclaturally conserved, in the sense that disallowing their use will cause inconvenience to the biological community. Nevertheless Fabaceae is the correct term to use.

Unfortunately scientific nomenclature is often not at all user friendly!

MWP admin
Site Admin

So it is Fabaceae

Post by MWP admin » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:19 pm

Thanks, I also guessed so becasue to my knowlege the plant families should end in "___aceae", but many recent publications used Leguminosae so I got confused.

I think it is the same story with
Cruciferae vs Brassicaceae
Compositae vs Asteraceae

Thanks ROBCAR ... by the way what is your profession (hope not ROBing CARs!) :lol:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:58 pm

yes, I confirm robby. Another old name is Papilionaceae... :wink:

robcar
Veteran member

Post by robcar » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:09 am

No Stephen. At the moment I am not into robbing cars. Although I have had my present car for over 13 years it still runs well! However when it will no longer pass its VRT, who knows? :twisted:

I earn my living through teaching environmental science and biology at a church school sixth form.