Maltawildplants.com on the Times again

Latest news about the website and whole project. Can be read in more detail on www.maltawildplants.com/News.html

Moderator: MWP admin

MWP admin
Site Admin

Maltawildplants.com on the Times again

Post by MWP admin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:18 pm

For the 3rd time, Maltawildplants.com ended up on The Times, spreading the news that 2 new species have been recorded for the first time in the Maltese flora by Stephen Mifsud. The article is in the central page.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:08 pm

D. Cilia

Post by D. Cilia » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:27 pm

prosit stephen! asplenium got mentioned as well. were there photos of the discoveries in the printed edition?

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:10 pm

Well, there where many technical mistakes (like the "iris psedopum") but I assure you that there were not from my side.

In the newspaper there are 5 photos.

I have just discovered a new one last weekend but needs further thought and study and consultation with Edwin Lanfranco. I let you know in the bulletins
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:45 pm

Have you seen this post JP?
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:17 am

sorry MWP- I missed this topic, but congratulations- is the Asplenium (Bernd showed you) included?

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:24 am

ahh, thank you Il-Pine!
:-D

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:39 am

JP, I have sense of ethics and of course it is not Bernds single Asplanium plant but a different population of 10-12 plants. However the article was not about the fern but about Dactyloctenium and Amaranthus. There is a dedicated post and photos about the Asplenium big population.

Thanks 8)
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:07 pm

:protest: Why should be Bernd's Asplenium site unethical? Ok, only 1 speciman but together with septemtrionale.
I think these tiny ferns are not as rare as we think because it is easy to overlook.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:27 pm

Why should be Bernd's Asplenium site unethical?
JP, I did not meant that Bernt's specimen/site is unethical (which does not make sense in English), but I meant that if someone shows me a rare plant I will not claim that it is mine on the newspaper as this would be something not ethical. The population I found is completely different from that of Berndt that he found 1 year ago.

I replied so becasue you asked me if I included Berndt's Asplenium in the article.

The same applies for the plants I found.

Hope it is clear.
:wink:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:42 pm

ok, I understand. See, for me it is not important who found what where... The main thing is that someone found something- new species, new population or whatever.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:07 pm

I am glad you understood me. Initially, I used to think like you, but after several issues in the last 12-18 months I have changed the attitude.

Now, for me (and as I can see other field botanists studying the flora of Malta), it is extremely important that one does not publish species & important populations that were discovered by others. Hence I always check with Edwin (sort of botany HQ) before declaring something as new. If Edwin would have told me tha Dactyloctenium was found by Mr. X, I would not publish it under my name.

What I do not find acceptable is if someone discovers a number of interesting findings and does not publish them for a long time. Fortunately, as one can see, I am not that type and will show my findings first for the forum members (though dissapointingly I do not get much feedback), and then on the media.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator