What's this?!

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

Conchiolin
Veteran member

What's this?!

Post by Conchiolin » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:23 am

What is this plant?? It's considered as a pest by some farmers. It is very pestilential it grows in dense aggregations. It propagates by rhizomes and also when you pull one out you'll be pullin some others since they are connected with the dead rhizome.

It rarely flowers it grows an elongated stem and the inflorescence resembles that of the giant reed. It is also resistant to most pesticides and i have never met this plant in any other area. If you just pull it and leave it on dry soil it regrows. The base of the leaves is slightly swelled and also when you pull one out an elongated root will be observed. (this was observed in every specimen) My theory is that the plant has a tuber. But i'm not sure of this since i never managed to pull out the whole root.

If somebody could ID it so i can find some info about the plant.

Hope the question is not stupid and thank you all folks.

Some pics:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no man needs a holiday as much as the man who just had one.

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Tue May 01, 2007 4:50 pm

if it grows mainly in water and is large ( one metre or more ) then it could be typha domingensis - in maltese buda ( very appropriate )
this plant ( if my id is correct that is ) is on the increase and tolerates pollution - so not very nice to see it on the increase

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Post by Conchiolin » Tue May 01, 2007 6:51 pm

Nay it only grows about 20 cm with the inflorescence and it grows in quite dry conditions and resists drought conditions possibly due to its storage organ it has.
Is the typha really on the increase? man that's gonna be a problem
that means another nasty competitor for our flora.

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Post by Conchiolin » Tue May 01, 2007 6:56 pm

Forgot to say thanks wolf. Is it my impression or the forum is a bit sleepy lately. Usually it's a bee hive of activity. Apparently everything has a hibernation period, its period of drought.

thanks again.

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Wed May 02, 2007 5:49 am

sorry wrong id !!!
sleepy forum ? well I bumped into MWP in Gozo in the long weekend which probably explains admin being so quiet !!!

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu May 03, 2007 6:34 am

Here I am guys, I am terribly busy as I am converting the website contents into a database and it takes lots of time. I am doing a special course and lots of research and experimentation for this big task. Apart that, I need to take care of Miranda at the mornings since now it always need more attention (I can't leave her on her own anymore). Further to this I have to spend considerable time in the field to photo as much plants as possible. Have to sort another 300 photos from Gozo. And I have not mentioned everything!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, Conch, your plant is very interesting and opposite of a stupid questions - it is rather good one. My very first impression was some sort of Poaceae species (grass) but I cant figure out which without any inflorescences. Are you sure it does not flower (strange in that case)
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Post by Conchiolin » Thu May 03, 2007 11:45 am

As i said it flowers and the inflorescence resembles that of the giant reed: however, it is rarely in flower.

We know you're always busy admin! Running a site like this one definitely requires a lot of time in fact i don't know how you manage to participate in every topic. I mean what's the secret?

We greatly appreciate it and thanks a lot.

:)

I think i know someone who has a friend that know the maltese name of the plant. I must ask him.

thanks again.