UNABLE TO IDENTIFY

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

wolf
Veteran member

UNABLE TO IDENTIFY

Post by wolf » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:13 pm

Another plant from Wied Incita and it caught my attention because it was the only specimen of its kind ... I am hoping it is the rare neatostema apulum but it probably isnt as it does not appear to be recorded from this place. It is probably something much more common. Plant is many branched and less than a foot high I wud say. What do the experts say ?

wolf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:19 am

Ajuga iva

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:48 pm

Thanks Jackpot. Ajuga iva ! ...that is rather a let down though leaves look exactly similar to aj.iva though I have always encountered this in single branched specimens usually not more than 3 inches high. Perhaps it is the less common yellow flowered one ? ( I am still hoping it is something rare ) I will try to revisit when it flowers aj.iva is already in flower in some places
thanks
wolf

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:53 am

Have you considered that maybe there are numerous (single branched) plants from one spot? I have never seen ajuga iva yet!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:59 pm

Wolf: there is much fear of that it is Ajuga pseudoiva (the yellow "(d)iva")) :wink: because iva grows procumbent but more ascending, at least more than pseudoiva, which grows almost exclusively procumbent (as far as I know). However, I like the frequent (d)iva more than the rare pseudoiva. Admin: nice populations are southern of Nadur Tower. Wolf: the yellow one occurs sometimes at the road of the National Park (between concrete paving slabs)... a dirty ugly thing in contrast to MY diva! :oops: