Persicaria - what species

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

Ghansar

Persicaria - what species

Post by Ghansar » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:28 pm

This flower was photographed at Wied il-Ghasri, Gozo, on 05.12.05.

It looks to me like it is a "persicaria" species, but what species?

According to the book Wildlife of the Maltese Islands, "Persicaria salicifolia" flowers in summer. This plant was flowering in December!

Can anyone identify the species for me?

The plant was growing in a pool of fresh water at the bottom of the valley. There was a small patch of these plants and they were all flowering simultaneously.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:37 pm

Hi ghansar I am pretty sure it is sanicifolia ...definitely not senegalensis ..I dont take supposed flowering periods so strictly ...like cistus creticus suppost flowers in spring ( and it does to be fair ! ) but there are always flowers on them when I see them in winter ...just two weks ago in fact - hardly spring mhux hekk ?
wolf

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:14 pm

I have experienced similar situations like this. Sometiems there are micro climatic variations which fools the plant and thinks it is another season. A warm early Autumn can induce Spring flowers to germinate early, and this Autumn was not cruel at all if I remember well. Also a non rainy end of summer/ beg of Autumn could lengthen the flowering period of summer flowers.

So I would, like wolf said, not give much importance about the flowering seasons as exceptions happens in a non-perfect nature.

After examining the photo and some literature, now I can confirm that morphologically, the plant is Persicaria species, but I have not yet arrived to the species level, though when I looked photos of sanicifolia, I think that I agree with you. Many other Persicaria species reported in Malta have few-flowerd inflorescences.

I add more info if I find some more time. Sorry for the generic reply in my email ghansar but I was in a big hurry at that time.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:49 pm

it cud also be Persicaria lapathifolia from image comparison on the net - sanicifolia is not that deep a pink more whiye/pink sort of

wolf

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Polygonum

Post by IL-PINE » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:24 pm

I agree with Wolf that the species is Polygonum lapathifolium. The leaves of salicifolium I believe are much narrower than that of the photograph.

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:31 am

difficult (for me) to say more as Persicaria (=Polygonum)

Ghansar

Post by Ghansar » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:33 pm

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my post.

It looks like the flower I posted was a bit difficult to identify.

I admit I am still undecided about the exact identification of the plant. Yes it could be Polygonum lapathifolium but I am not excluding that it could also be Persicaria salicifolia (Polygonum salicifolium).

I will try to find some time next summer to go to Bahrija where Persicaria salicifolia is said to be common. I would take some photos of the plants and flowers and compare them with the photos I have of the Wied il-Ghasri specimens. I also hope to go again to Wied il-Ghasri some time and take some more pictures and notes of the plants.

Thanks

MWP admin
Site Admin

leaves too

Post by MWP admin » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:39 pm

PS: it seems critical that you should also take photos of the leaves.
Thanks for letting us know 8)
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:50 pm

could be Persicaria glabra. Ask Edwin Lanfranco, since this group is quite tricky.

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:02 pm

This should be Persicaria salicifolium. From Bahrija.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sandra

Post by sandra » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:58 pm

I'm attaching another photo of Persicaria salicifolia taken at Bahrija in June 2004.

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:44 am

yep, both pictures are definitely P. salicifolia. There is still some confusion about P. glabra in Malta.