ID succulent shrubs please?

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

RB
Premium Member

ID succulent shrubs please?

Post by RB » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:39 am

As below,

Thanks

RB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:06 am

509 Suaeda vera
523 looks like Darniella melitensis

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:23 pm

Thanks, 509 was a bit lazy on my part, but 523 was a little bit unsure. Because all the plants in the area, whether in sun, shade, or otherwise and also in bad or good growing conditions, were very light grey (like C Lanfrancoi-type colour) rather than the usual green-yellowish of Darniella.

I have seen plenty of Darniella, all over Malta/Gozo, and they seem to be all of the same colour range, dark green-yellowish. This colony of plants, and there are many in the area, are all grey.

They are in Hal far valley (I do not know the name) where there are some minor fortifications.

Thanks

RB

Pic of location below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:55 pm

That is Wied Znuber. The site of where we found the Linaria pseudolaxiflora, exactly this time last year. Nice memories....

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:31 pm

yes Pine - you had me green with envy as I did not come because of the strong wind - and it took me about two hours to find it a couple of weeks later

pleasant valley if they only stop throwing sewage in it - Nature Trust has reported on this several times....

wolf

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:05 pm

I remeber that day too... very very windy.

I went 3 days after and tried to explore the other side, and had the worse encounter with a bird trapper, threatening for a fight while passing from a pathway along the coast to Ghar Hasan. He had cages even along the 'public' pathway.

Reported to MEPA and told me that there's nothing illegal in that.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}