Thistle like involuvre

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

MWP admin
Site Admin

Thistle like involuvre

Post by MWP admin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:47 am

I met this Asteraceae at the University grounds while taking pics of Pinus halepensis and some other trees.

The capitula involuvre looks like a thistle while the leaves like some Leontodon. I also thaught of some atypical Galactites tomentosa out of season, but not convinced..,

Any suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:15 am

I suppose an annual Galactites tomentosa (p 305)

robcar
Veteran member

Post by robcar » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:02 am

Very interesting - I had taken a photo of this very similar plant in December of two years ago at Lija about 5 m away from my home.

At that time I had not managed to identify it properly - like MWP the leaves had confused me (I had labelled it tentatively as Galactites tomentosa not because I knew what it was but I could not think of anything else :D )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:09 am

We have a new species robcar!! LOL!! I confirm the leaves in my specimen. Since of the interesting discussion, I will revist the plant (hope I find it!) and take more photos.

I was thinking of an un-nutritioned out-of-season Galactites tomentosa
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:57 am

To me it is tomentosa there is no doubt. As to out of season, with all this heat up to couple of days back, im not surprised that it did a "quickie" from seed to flower.

I have seen Cistus in flower also last sunday! And Englishmen at the beach!!! :lol:

RB

robcar
Veteran member

Post by robcar » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:20 am

I am not doubting HC Weber (and Jackpot) as to the identity of this plant.

While most plants can occasionally flower out of season, it seems that this is a regular thing with G.tomentosa - HC Weber records this in his book, while MWP and myself have both come across such specimens.

What is somewhat unusual is the fact that these small, annual plants look so different from the more normal biennial plants - they are so tiny and weak compared to the large, robust multi-headed individuals we normally find in Spring

I wonder what makes them decide to flower at what is such an early stage of their vegetative development

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:34 pm

Yes I agree, the new species part was a thick joke ta! What I did not know was that there are annual and bi-ennial types of the plant, and as you said the somehow different morphology makes you wandering and asking!

Thanks to all!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator