Is it Chenopodium?

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

MWP admin
Site Admin

Is it Chenopodium?

Post by MWP admin » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:48 pm

Got across this plant in fileds and got rather confused what is it. At first thought, I was thinking that it might be Chenopodium album, but not convinced, esp since it is so hairy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:59 pm

It seems to me to be a rather vigorous Parietaria officinalis.
RB

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:57 am

agreed :)

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:16 pm

Thanks guys!
Strangely it is not mention in Weber and Lanfrancos books, though Haslam reports that it is very common! :?:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:04 pm

its quite difficult to separate P. judaica and P. officinalis. I call almost everything in Malta judaica but there are about 4 sp and those are very variable, too.

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:50 pm

Very common is an understatement. It is extremely pestilent and perennial too, if you try to rip it out the roots are very strong and you only manage to break off the stems - which sprout again rapidly. To make it worse it tends to like humid places such as int the same pot as pot plants or just inches from a planted shrub, so you can't dig it out.

It also seeds a lot and the seeds are highly viable, and it tolerates shady conditions.

The only good way to wipe this out in gardens and containers is to apply systemic weedkiller, a normal "foliage" weedkiller is not very effective, in fact even with the systemic you need to apply when the plant is actively growing.

It's also aesthetically rather poor and does not smell nice so there is not much going for this plant!

Sign me up for the hate club!

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:15 pm

Thanks for the report RB! I dedicate the profile for this plant to you mate!!! Just kidding :lol: :lol: :lol: !
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator