Help me identify this tree if you can...

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

RB
Premium Member

Help me identify this tree if you can...

Post by RB » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:45 pm

Large, sometimes VERY large tree (~25m) as the specimen found just leaving Fontana in Gozo on the way to Xlendi...

Found in Buskett also.

Leaves (forgive my amateur desc) with leaflets, a la Pistachia Lentiscus (in layout ONLY, much larger and differently shaped). The leaflets are pointy and narrowish, and the entire "assembly" (hahahaha I bet you love this) about 30 cm long.

Bearing at this time still-green individual fruits about 3-4 cm long with 3 "edges", and seems like there is one seed inside, but not 100% sure.

There is also one in Mosta Valley not far from the Speranza Chapel just upstream of the dam.

I would love to know about this...

RB

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:17 pm

Carya (maybe) ilinoinensis, the most common walnut in Malta. During the winter you will be able to collect the nuts which are smaller than some American varieties but very tasty.

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:04 pm

Yo-hooo that seems to be it! Maybe a slight variety as compared to the pics I found on the net (btw - it's commonly called the pecan tree) the leaflets seem to be narrower and more pointy in the Malta trees.

Thanks, I will definitely collect the nuts and plant this... I have just the place for this.

RB

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:40 pm

...not it seems to be- IT IS C. illinoinensis! :lol:
The biggest one I`ve ever seen is in Buskett! The sign in San Anton is wrong (but I propose that they have changed it meanwhile (C. olivaeformis was the old name)