Some snapshots from Wied Incita

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:40 pm

Thank you Stravko.

Capsule wise, the plant is perfectly Narcissus tazetta as I have just profiled it on the site. The long leaves and long stem fooled us all (except you). The Onion tip is helpful - TNX

If you dont find the Rosa, phone me and I will come to show it my friend, but only after 3pm since of work. However I have the good impression of you that you will find it by yourself :wink:

Are you mapping whole Malta or Wied il-Kbir / Qormi?
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:44 pm

rosa is at wied incita in very few numbers on zebbug side of valley - I am sure Sdravko will smell it out from a long way off - it is positioned exactly as at wied anglu - north facing and just below cliff face.

Elena - as we say in Maltese PROSIT for your good work in propafgating Tulipa and the encouraging covering you got in the press...how about transplanting a few at Incita ???!
at bottom of valley there are a couple of untrampled sites which could be perfect for this species

well done

wolf

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:04 pm

well, I am mapping the valleys which Haslam calls the Kbir and Sewda systems, basicly the area between Marsa port, the airport, national park and Dingli cliffs (although Mr. Prof. Dr. Weber still has to confirm the boundaries proposed by me).

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:40 pm

Sdravko - I will be interested and curious to know what you might fing in wied is-sewda which is heavily polluted at valley bed ...the only thing of interest i have ever found here is plumbago europea - very few in numbers and not too far grom the tal-hlas chapel.
of course it flowered long ago sep-oct i think

wolf

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:47 pm

well, not too many interesting things at Wied is-Sewda until now. a Ficus nitida, a Apium graveolens (possibly garden escape, but they are too difficult to distinguish from the 'wild' form) and what i think is a cultivar of Taraxacum, all in the cemented lower part at Qormi. have not seen the Plumbago, but will look for it. Thanks for the tip.

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:36 pm

i woild say do not waste too much time on wied is-sewda !!! though it can be a bit scenic after rains ...and muddy too

qirda / incita and the valleys further upstream are more interesting

wolf

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:13 pm

due to rain I had to map Incita a day later. One of my favorite places in my area. About 8 to 10 Rosa s, maybe more. And some other rather rare species. But I am more interested in the Rosa gallica which should grow on the hospital side of the valley. Whoever finds it for me gets a beer.

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:43 pm

Sdravko - tell me more about the rare species at Incita please !!! this is my favorite valley for the simple reason it is ten minutes up the road from where i live so i always go there when i do not feel like driving

thanks in advance !!

ps...how do you know there is rosa gallica and then did not find it ? ...curious

wolf

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:19 pm

Edwin found some Rosa gallica. The wild form, according to him, but he has seen it only once.
Well, for example Haslam cites wied Incita with almost every second rare plant. Must be that all botanists who published about Malta had to spend some time there. even I allready feel fit for that institution. I have not found too manyrare things, yet. some Crassula tillaea, some strange Sedum, some Rosa, Scilla sicula and Rosmarinus, some cf Stachys, some Asperula which could be aristata and some Callitriche. Maybe I will find more during the next mapping session which is scheduled for the end of march.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:18 pm

Sadly,! we are loosing our indigenous plants - its a fact and the authorities are not doing much!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}