Some snapshots from Wied Incita

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

MWP admin
Site Admin

Some snapshots from Wied Incita

Post by MWP admin » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:07 pm

Here is a set of photos from Wied Incita including some plants. Some needs Identification so I need some help. read the comments of the photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:14 am

pic 2: possibly Rumex conglomeratus
pic 3: an Onion?
pic 4: green algae (but Callitriche or Zannichellia could be in, too)
pic 5: G. aparine
pic 6: yes

pic 1: very nice!

MWP admin
Site Admin

TNX alot Jack

Post by MWP admin » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:11 pm

Thanks Jackpot. Every day, a little bit more knowledgable about our flora. I did not imagined that almond tree could grow that large - the one at the back is nearly at eucalyptus size !!

I missed the Rosa sempervirens! Where is it exactly? Is it at the side of the hunter bunkers (their stone room). Is it at the side facing Mount Carmel hospital or that facing the quarry ?
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:02 pm

mwp - slide three definitely salvja tal-madonna ( phlomis fruticosa )
not very frequent plant but common enough at incita
four is scilla sicula -should be in flower in a months time and one of my favorite flowers

wolf

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:04 pm

oops scilla sicula is six - i dont know what four is ... looks like the sort of soup the wife cooks on a bad day :D

wolf

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:16 pm

Thanks Wolf. Regards slide 4, I was refering to the monocot plant not the Salvja tal-Madonna. As Jackpot said, it can be an Onion (Allium species) but the only problem with that is the flowering times. Most Alliums flower in April/May. I found 3 different species all in fruit capsules at Wied Incita, so could it be that they are all "fooled" by climate changes?!

In Haslam there are 2 Alium spp. reported to flower from Dec, and one (A. chamaemoly) is a very small spp and the other (A. triquetrum) is very rare (and I dont think it was my lucky day last Monday 13th FEb)

What about Rosa sempervirens?

The soup thing made us laugh a lot, hope your wifey is not on the forum!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:23 pm

oops sorry again - do not know what the dried plant is - def not rosa though cos that one is evergreen !

and no the wife does not mind a joke on her cooking now and then
( she made bloody good kebabs today ! )

wolf

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:37 pm

What about Rosa sempervirens?
I was not ref to plants in Slide 4 but referring to reactions/replies for my prev question:
I missed the Rosa sempervirens! Where is it exactly? Is it at the side of the hunter bunkers (their stone room). Is it at the side facing Mount Carmel hospital or that facing the quarry ?

Sometimes the chat is confusing I know :-(
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:29 pm

near the bunker - there might still be a flower or two
sorry ma tantx qed niehu llum...

wolf

MWP admin
Site Admin

Bunkers = interesting flora

Post by MWP admin » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:31 am

Thanks Wolf. I am noticing that there is quite interesting flora near some bunkers. Stravko found some Scilla sicula (and maybe S. peruviana!!) near one of the bunkers near Selmun.

The yellow Iris was near a bunker area too.

hmmm... :roll:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:03 pm

mwp: see your report about your first meeting in Wied Incita and klick topic discussion in your text. HCW described the location pretty exactly!

euromaltese1

Post by euromaltese1 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:24 pm

Those pictures are absolutely fantastic.

Could someone guide me to where I can see more pictures, please. Especially the ones in Malta.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Rosa sempervirens probably found

Post by MWP admin » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:35 pm

I found some leaves which do not look to be rubus, and its corate appearance and its oval/egg shape indicate Rosa sempervirens. However i am not sure if I read somewhere thos R.s. has reduced or no spines !?!

Anyway, if it is R.s. then I maybe I found the 3rd species because this was found near a large carob tree that none of you mentioned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

euromaltese1

Post by euromaltese1 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:43 pm

Wow thanks dear Stephen. I just went on to the site with pics ecc. Fantastic........it s going all the way to France...ok? My wiife is there, at the moment.

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:50 pm

mwp - to my inexpert eye iy is rosa ...but please stop referring to species if and when you mean specimen as you are confusing my tired head :P

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:52 pm

Wolf, afaik, when we say "species", it is meant this particular plant, so I think it is ok to write it - always prone to correctioN :shock:

Though the "3rd species" might sound funny :wink:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:59 pm

euromaltese1 wrote:Those pictures are absolutely fantastic.

Could someone guide me to where I can see more pictures, please. Especially the ones in Malta.
www.maltawildplants.com/WildPlants_Index.html

Select a plant thumbnail and enjoy the beauty of the Malteseflora!
Fantastic........it s going all the way to France...ok? My wiife is there, at the moment.

What do you mean exactly??

Note that all this work is made in my free time and money, so for the moment I am quite fussy with the copyright stuff of the pics, etc. The site is open to sponsorships or partnerships too, if you can help. Note that google, yahoo and excite lists my site top ranking. Seacrhing for many species in the site also puts my site from the first 20 results.

It would be nice if you reveal a bit about yourself :-)
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

euromaltese1

Post by euromaltese1 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:30 pm

www.maltawildplants.com

Dear friend, I only meant that I sent the site's address (as above)to my wife, who is presently in France, through e mail. I hope that that is allowed.

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:39 pm

mwp: In the past you still confused me with the species until I learned what you meant, so, not really important but wolf is right with his comment about species and specimen. :wink:

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:40 pm

upps- I forgot to confirm the Rosa pics.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:18 pm

euromaltese1 wrote:www.maltawildplants.com

Dear friend, I only meant that I sent the site's address (as above)to my wife, who is presently in France, through e mail. I hope that that is allowed.
Of course, no problem at all, and I encourage that you spread the site. The brief way you wrote it made me understand that you are sending the pics to France for something iimportant.

Are you interested in Maltese wild plants?
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:29 pm

Ok, I would say specimen next time, dont worry too much. :wink:

So, have you ever noted this 3rd specimen of Rosa sempervirens together with Rubus near the large carob tree (there's only one).
I haven't found the other 2 specimen, but well not that important now that there are no flowers no berries.

I noted that many leaves of this specimen where attacked by fungal spots and hope it will survive :twisted:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:05 am

I only know the 2 SPECIMEN :lol:
Btw: Rosa sempervirens will never produce berries! :lol:

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:05 am

What type of fruit it does then, if any?
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:04 pm

ok, scientifically, Rosa fruits are small achenes with solitary seeds, enclosed in a fleshy hypanthium, the"hip" :)

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:16 pm

I too have been to incita this weekend - a few things I noticed

1. Conical orchid is much more in abundance this year than last year . Last year about this time I found maybe three-four specimens while this year there were forty plus I would say - in one case a group of four clustered very close to each other - not very usual

2. Fan-lipped orchid seems to be totally absent from here - funny since it is often found together with conical orchid - but there you are. Earlier in the year there were also no traces of brown orchid - another common species absent here.

3. Romulea species ( not noticed before ) here are all of a white or whitish colour and mostly vet small - any idea what species - Sdravko perhaps or Jack ?

4. Finally a cute pic of cerinthe in yellow instead of brown - is this usual or just another of nature's tricks ( no photoshop jack ok ? )

wolf

MWP admin
Site Admin

My comments

Post by MWP admin » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:07 pm

1) I too have noted a dozen despite the ingliza in some cases

2) Its true.

3) I have submitted an exact plant Id post about this Romulea spp. !!! http://maltawildplants.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=198

It is Roumulea columnae. There are at least 4 varieties of this species and its identification from a pic is difficult, because the identification keys are peuliar to if the spathe flaps (2 mm structures below the flower) are squamous/scarious or herbaceous. Another iportant key is if the anthers are above or below the style. I noted that at this time many of them are Romulea columnae var. rollii.

4) Usually albinos are totally white. Food for jackpot/Weber/ Stravko/etc :idea: Nice pic , your Sony is very good.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:25 pm

thanks mwp - had not noticed your post on romulea

so is columnna always white and smaller than the others ?

romulea experts please speak

wolf

Dr. Elena Yasnetskaya

Rosa sempervirens

Post by Dr. Elena Yasnetskaya » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:15 am

This newly growing stem of Rosa sempervirens is the best part to collect for micropropagation! It is juvenile and will grow and multiply without problem in vitro. Shell we organise a walk at some places with Rosa sempervirens? I promise small rose bushes to everyone who can help me to collect this sample!
I will not destroy a mother plant; I need just a small piece of fresh growing stem.

Elena
Dr. Elena

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:29 pm

Have not seen Rosa at Wied Incita yet, but tomorrow I will be mapping this area if it does not rain. As for collection for micropropagation I can come with you if you want, I know some rosa at Girgenti, Wied Hanzir and Marsa, and hopefully Wied Incita, by tomorrow.
About the plant from the originalk pictures which is not an asphodel: Narcissus tazetta can be quite variable, I have seen plant up to 1 m tall, so this could be your plant.
Remember: an onion usually smells like an onion (best way to identify them).