Two Limonium species

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

AlanOuten

Two Limonium species

Post by AlanOuten » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:57 pm

I have two Limonium species from my 2012 visit to Malta with which I would be grateful for local expertise. I appreciate that this is a difficult genus, especially from images but hope that perhaps local knowledge of the locations and of the Maltese Flora may help.

The first large species (2 images) was clearly cultivated in the grounds of the Corinthia Palace Hotel on 16 August 2012. I am afraid the close up image is rather lacking in quality!

The second rather lax species was found at Dwejera, Gozo on 18 Aug 2012. I would about L. melitensis but just do not have sufficient information about the Maltese specialities to make a real identification myself!

Many thanks

Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:28 am

will try to identify.
Limonium is a very difficult genus!

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:41 pm

I agree that the first 2 photos is some cultivated, non-native species, and that's difficult to identify, somehow there is a faint similarity to L. sinuatum.

The second one looks to be Limonium melitensis from the branching, although sometimes I think we have a single polymorphic species which would not become distinct into L. melitensis and L. zeraphae if analysed molecularly. Limonium is not my favourite genus!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

AlanOuten

Post by AlanOuten » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:42 am

Thanks to you both. Yes I prefaced my own post recognising the difficulty of the genus - certainly not easy and also a genus that I rarely come across living, as I do, just about as far away from the sea as it is possible to be in the UK! Glad that you think the same about the second one as me Stephen. I agree that the flowers of the first have some similarities to L. sinuata but very different foliage and lacking winged stems.

Thank you again

Best wishes

Alan

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi,
congratulation MWP that the forum survived, finally!
The white Limonium is an ornamental one, possibly L. perezii. The other one looks like L. zeraphae, due to the one-sided branches.