A trifolium that applies make-up on the leaves

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

MWP admin
Site Admin

A trifolium that applies make-up on the leaves

Post by MWP admin » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:56 am

I found an interesting species that puzzled me, and do not recall that I have seen something alike. Unfortunately, the plants were too young and did not offer any distinguishing characters, but the tifoliate leaves on long peduncles gave me a good clue for Trifolium species, while leaves no doubt that it belongs to the pea family (Fabaceae).

But there was a rather unique feature that 'impressed' and alerted me to follow it. The leaflet had a striking reddish longitudinal line which was quite attractive (see image)

Can someone tell us what is this species? Could be a just a common Trifolium sp. that have this feature when young, and we simply never observed it, but my heart tells me that it could be something more interesting?!?!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MWP admin on Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:05 pm

never really saw this!

RutgerB

Post by RutgerB » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:45 pm

I've seen something like this. I thought it was a Melilotus. I think only young leaves have stripes sometimes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
---------------------
Rutger Barendse
Belgium

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:34 am

Thank you for your answer, which makes sense, because the previous site visit on this islet (May2011) I have recorded Melilotus indicus. I keep your reply in mind. At any rate, I have brought a specimen and planted it at home to follow it. It seems to undergo a slow recovery and hopefully would not die. One can also sow some seeds of Melilotus indicus to see how the plantlets would look like.

THANKS AGAIN
:hello2:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

Danpav

Post by Danpav » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:44 am

Hello
I agree with Melilotus sp.
Daniel