Ballota or Marrubium(!) ?

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

MWP admin
Site Admin

Ballota or Marrubium(!) ?

Post by MWP admin » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:48 pm

I found a Ballota-looking plant but it was whitish because of the dense and long white hairs it had. I was hence wondering if it could be the very rare white horehound - Marrubium vulgare, instead the black horehound (Ballota nigra). The latter is described not to be that hairy, but I know that exceptions may occur.

I am comparing stem/leaves of a ballota nigra (left) and the specimen in question in the pic attached below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:29 am

I read some floras about the 2 species this morning and seems that Ballota could be hairy too. It also seems that Marrubium usually do not have long petioles and the smell is pleasant-scented. Characters hence point to Ballota, but you can of course comment your thoughts too.

If I find time, I recheck the flowers in May because it looks a bit different from the usual Ballota nigra subsp. uncinata, perhaps it turns to be a different subsp. (at least!)
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:53 pm

seems a hairy ballota :P

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:17 pm

I revisited the plants and they are again Ballota nigra subsp. uncinata so nothing special with this one! :(
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator