A big Ranunculus ...

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

MWP admin
Site Admin

A big Ranunculus ...

Post by MWP admin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:53 pm

As local botanists know, there is a goup of related yellow flowering ranunculus growing in damp areas such as beside valleys with a stocky habit and large leaves. Three (or four) species are closely related

R. bulbosus s.l
R. macrophyllus
R. sardous
(R. trilobus)

If not mistaken, all specimens i checked end up to be R. bulbosus. This is identified from the rest by having a bulbous root, but it is against the green code of countryside (and against my will) to dig specimens. However, there are a combination of characteristics which will lead to to R. bulbosus without the need of checking the roots / base of plant.

For me, R. bulbosus keys out in being hirsute, sepals reflexed down, stocky, achenes with short beak, achenes with smooth edges and peduncles with a defined groove

Now, finally I found something different.
  • Achenes with a developed beak and tuberculate sides (v.similar as muricatus)
    Plant glabrous and as if polished
    Peduncle striate to terate (in my opinion not grooved, but the striations introduce a doubt)
    Leaves very large and dissected half way.
    Upper cauline leaves starts as an entire and gradually becomes divided with maturity
I gave a very short round to the keys (while being half asleep!) and nothing keyed out. ?!?

I made my opinion on a gigantic R. muricatus - but R. muricatus usually have a different habit and smaller leaves.

what's your opinion?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:19 pm

not to disappoint you but I think it is a big Ranunculus muricatus....[/i]

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:22 pm

The achenes are identical to R. muricatus in fact, but it was so large, stocky and bulky (beside it there is a Borago to compare with). well, so far I thinkt that muricatus is the best match.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}