The impossible one!

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

MWP admin
Site Admin

The impossible one!

Post by MWP admin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:22 pm

I found 2 specimens of this young plant in a degraded area of the sand dunes of Ramla. The fact that the plants are young, makes it very difficult to identify, but (1) I am not very patient and (2) one may never know what wonders come out from the members of the forum.

I am sure it is an annual, and I may suggest it is a Caryophyllacea, but not 100% sure. There are some sand dune species which are very rare
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:29 am

From the first photo I thought it was a Crithmum, but this is definitely a Caryophyllaceae genus Spergularia. More I can't say without flowers, bracts and sepals!!!!

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:30 am

From the first photo I thought it was a Crithmum, but this is definitely a Caryophyllaceae genus Spergularia. More I can't say without flowers, bracts and sepals!!!!

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:42 pm

The thing is that it did not had any bracts at the leaves, nevertheless, one can be 100% sure when the flowers are formed.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Lacking stipules, this is not a Spergularia / Spergula... I went last week and the area was so vegetated that I could not locate the plant, but in the whereabouts there were little pink flowers of Rhodalsine geniculata, and I think it fits well.

Probably a seed pod fell down without breaking up and all the seeds have germinated from the same spot forming this multi-specimen structure.

(sherlock Holmes kont hiereg!)
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Thu May 05, 2011 1:01 pm

heh
sherlock holmes you are :P