Strange Mimosaceae

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

MWP admin
Site Admin

Strange Mimosaceae

Post by MWP admin » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:25 pm

I found a small pop of trees in the wild, so I deal with this in the ID of WildPlants section, though it is evident to be an alien / possibly a garden escape or introduced

Well from the leaves it is easy to put this species in the Mimosacea. Have you ever seen something like it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:05 pm

Very invasive feker, common unfortunately and intentionally planted whence the seeds spread and germinate... kill any on sight, where found in the wild!!

I think the name has been dealt with before on this forum.

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:30 pm

I searched for mimosa on the forum and this plant did not crop up. It is neither Albizia nor Leucana nor Jacaranda for a start. I am researching and I came to some strange alternatives which are new names for me.

What you had in mind RB - seems you know the plant since you gave some info...
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:52 am

Albizia lophantha

But re the invasiveness, I was confusing with the far commoner Leucaena.

Yet, still can be problematic.

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:17 pm

So it was an ALBIZIA :banghead: I searched for long on this one but I got nothing close from the ALbizia department with white, brush-like flowers :oops:

I thought that A. lophantha had pinkish flowers but that was clearly A. julibrissin. from the post you mentioned (link below) The closest was a certain Pentaclethra which is also not bad as a similarity (give it a look RB, just to be sure). Does the bark of this pic corresponds with A. lophantha ? The decorated bark had put me off-track to some strange Mimosaceae species

I conclude to agree about the invasiveness of this species, perhaps not as much as Leucana, but not very far.

http://maltawildplants.com/forum/viewto ... =lophantha
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator