so is this segetum ?

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

wolf
Veteran member

so is this segetum ?

Post by wolf » Wed May 02, 2007 6:31 pm

I had great difficulty trying to recognise chrysanthemum segetum this weekend in Gozo and took various pics which eventually turned out to be coronarium ( min iridhom jghiddli qabel nideletja kollox !! ) - so is this it ( note leaves ) and are the petals alway - hekk - sort of curved - I seem to remember Pine posted a similar pic

can you help

for the record this was found at wied hanzira

wolf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu May 03, 2007 6:38 am

Yes indeed! You can delete the others with pinnatifid leaves. Segetum usually have slightly shorter petals and I found my specimen in fields at Wied Hanzira too.

I went to check for Euphorbia peplis and again empty handed (or beteer to say empty memory card). Maybe you can PM finer details where to find it at that sand dune :wink:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu May 03, 2007 6:43 am

Here's a quick edited photo for wolf!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Thu May 03, 2007 1:29 pm

yep indeed

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Thu May 03, 2007 5:01 pm

thanks guys - this took two f***king years to find and I was looking under the skirts ( so to speak ! ) of so many innocent coronarium...

mwp
hope i did not spoil your dinner on saturday...ha ha - personally i was a bit disappointed :( as Ic-Cima has taken pork fillet off the menu and I swear its the best pork fillet I ever had from there but anyway.... this time cud not find peplus at ramla but finally found cyperus capitatus which i had never seen - had also been looking for it at ramla tat-torri but never found it there either

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Thu May 03, 2007 5:05 pm

sorry thats peplis not peplus 9 or is it the other way round )
problem is when i found it it was in 34 degrees temperature on a sweaty september day - all i remember is it was midway thru the dune on the first " hill" above the "plain" and was very visible - all other deatails are lost in sweat

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Thu May 03, 2007 5:08 pm

sorry thats peplis not peplus 9 or is it the other way round )
problem is when i found it it was in 34 degrees temperature on a sweaty september day - all i remember is it was midway thru the dune on the first " hill" above the "plain" and was very visible - all other deatails are lost in sweat

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu May 03, 2007 5:31 pm

It is E. peplis (Purple Spurge)

I just want 2 know if it was either
1) in front of the tamarix border (between tamarix and sea) or
2) behind the tamarix (between tamarix and fields)

From your post it should be (2) but better ask to be sure. I will check it up some sweaty day in Summer !
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Thu May 03, 2007 6:17 pm

more or less at the side of tamarisk border ...have no idea if there is / was more stuff behind tam.border but that area usually starts to have mixed vegetation if i remember correctly