help....

Requests about identification of wild plants in Malta and Gozo. (Please include precise details and pictures to help the experts in their ID process)

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

wolf
Veteran member

help....

Post by wolf » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:34 pm

Guys ( and girls ? ) I need your help on this. In brief this plant is a sizeable climber and I noticed it bordering the birdlife sanctuaries at both simar and ghadira. Moreover at ghadira it appears to have become naturalized and seems to thrive well on sandy ground. Flower is small about 1-1.5 cm across and plant produces beautiful red fruit ( note reflection of flower on fruit in pic arrached )
Any guesses ?
wolf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:02 pm

Lycium europaeum (on the right hand of the entrance to Ghadira) :wink:

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:44 pm

WOW ! thanks jackpot you are starting to impress me !!
are you sure you live in Germany ? :D

wolf

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:24 pm

Is it considered as a wild plant or an ornamental ?
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:14 pm

mwp - your beloved bible mentions it occurs ( or occured ) in various places but does not specify if as cultivated or not - i would guess it occurs as a "farmhouse" species much like aeonium is usually found near farmsteads
I would say it is a naturalised alien ...the bible even has a maltese name for it

wolf

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Lycium

Post by IL-PINE » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:56 pm

I have some confusing literature here! The bible mentions 2 species - the one mentioned above which as Wolf correctly stated is listed as neither native nor naturalised and a naturalised Lycium chinense.

The Red Data Book (1988) states that all the native records of L.europaeum are really Lycium intricatum - thus it was misidentified.

To add further confusion (!) the book 'Is-Sigar Maltin' (1998) confirms the native species as Lycium intricatum and states that Lycium europaeum is naturalised in places such as Ghadira, Simar and Manoel Island.

Prosit Wolf, you continue to discover new plants throughout our islands! I have never thought that this plant would have such a nice flower.

jackpot
Botanical Expert

europaeum

Post by jackpot » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:04 am

You like more confusion? An expert told me that it is not L. europaeum but L. barbarum (syn.: Lycium halimifolium or L. vulgare) from N Africa. Differences are hairy tufts at the base of the stamens. So, with a new herbarium study we confirmed recently our "europaeum" result. Lycium intricatum (syn.: Lycium mediterraneum var. ramulosum)also occurs, but leaves are pretty succulent. Is there another Maltese name as Għawseġ?

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:31 pm

Interesting!