Painted Frog

Posts and messages relating the Reptila and Amphibia Class (lizards, newts, frogs, toads...)

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Painted Frog

Post by jackpot » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:39 pm

As far as I know, this is the only frog in Malta. Is it rare or common?
Attachments
Painted Frog 21.jpg
Painted Frog 21.jpg (29.17 KiB) Viewed 31645 times

robcar
Veteran member

Post by robcar » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:17 pm

This frog is the only native frog (and our only native amphibian) and is considered to be common but decreasing in numbers.

However it is also interesting to point out that a thriving population of an alien frog belonging to the genus Rana (species as yet unidentified) was recently discovered at ta'Sarraflu in Gozo. The biologists studying these frogs believe that it was probably introduced in th late 1990s. A report about this was published in the Sunday Times just over a year ago.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:55 pm

I hope you have never heard what hobbies a part of our Maltese society had/(still have?) on these poor frogs (Only in Malta stufff!) - Disgraceful.

Its true, they are on the decrease and its worst enemy (and reason) is as usaul human influence.

When I was young, there where 'guided tours' by religious groups which would involve catching frogs and tadpoles from Chadwik lakes (-every Sunday afternoon!) Fortunately, soon the amphibian was protected from catching and these tours were discouraged (i hope)

Also the area of their natural habitat is decreasing, and water is getting more polluted.

It would be a pity if we loose this cute friend.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:40 am

thanks for the infos

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:39 am

Jackpot, photos of the other non-native frog at the pool of San Rafflu, gozo can be seen on the link below, sinceI have been there and took some photos.

http://maltawildplants.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=823
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}