Looks like a sort of bracket fungus ?

Messages and posts about fungi (mushrooms) in Malta

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

MWP admin
Site Admin

Looks like a sort of bracket fungus ?

Post by MWP admin » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:36 pm

While roaming along the bottom of Incita Valley, I came accross to this strange fungus which somehow resembles the bracket fungus, but has quite different morphologies, namely the yellow/cream thick perimeter and the caramel like drops on it. On the book of wild life, there was nothing similar listed to it except the bracket fungus.

Anyone please can confirm what it is.

Last edited by MWP admin on Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

Ke!tH

Post by Ke!tH » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:26 pm

Hi Stephen, according to the Wildlife of the Maltese Islands, the Bracket Funghus is botanically named as Phellinus rimosus, while in The Maltese Countryside, it is listed as Ganoderma sp.

I then searched through Google, and found that the Ganoderma sp, is the one that mostly resembles the one in the photo you posted, although I couldn't find any picture with those 'caramel- like drops'on its rim.

The link below is of a Ganoderma sp. photo

http://www.duinkerken.nu/paddestoelen/i ... 00x803.jpg

I think that the 'Bracket Funghus' term may be used for many types of funghi that resemble a shelf, thus the name may sometimes be misleading.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Ganoderma for sure

Post by MWP admin » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:37 am

I am reading several sources and I still have no definite conclusion. I was surely not born a mycologist!

Ganoderma spp. seams quite a close ID and the probable species would be:

Ganoderma lucidum
or
Ganoderma tsugae - varnish shelf fungus [ more info... ]

Though then I met a photo of Ischnoderma resinosum and looks quite more similar to our photographed species with regards to the honey-like droplet at its rim.

More research under progress....

PS: Interesting picture database of fungi
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

MWP admin
Site Admin

Ischnoderma resinosum

Post by MWP admin » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:54 am

From several sources that I read now I am quite confident that it is Ischnoderma resinosum, due those droplets which are described as resin (as the species name suggest itself). As far as I read, the Ganoderma spp. do not produce those droplets.

Below are some links about I. resinosum

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Post is open to different ideas / suggestions about this large 'mushroom'. By the way, one report said that it is edible and has a surpriisngly good taste! (I think i read it from link 1). However it also said that it caused allergic reactions in some people.

PS- another great site with plenty of photos of about 800 different fungal species.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:51 pm

Ischnoderma resinosum, was never reported in Malta, so I dont think anymore about my first hypothesis.

Recently, I've been told that this must be Inonotus indicus, a species widely distributed in Asia and Middle East, but in Europe, it is found only in Malta, which is not that rare.

For full ID of certain funghi, a sample of the fungus should be examined under the microscope. So there is always an element of uncertainty about this ID.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator