Species of Mushrooms Growing in Malta?

Messages and posts about fungi (mushrooms) in Malta

Moderators: AlanOuten, MWP admin, IL-PINE

Tonio

Species of Mushrooms Growing in Malta?

Post by Tonio » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:49 pm

Hi everyone, I'm aware that some fungi could be poisonous and some might have hallucinogenic properties and I was wondering if someone would be able to help me find a list of edible, poisonous and hallucinogenic mushrooms that grow in Malta in the wild, maybe with a description.
Although I think it's unlikely that these kind of mushrooms grow in Malta I wanted to make sure, as picking the wrong mushroom could result in a nasty experience.
Tnks in advance.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:49 pm

Asking here and asking there I found out that there is a book about Maltese fungi to be published by Autumn. I am sure that there will be mentioned which are poisonous and not.

Maybe some member have more info or perhaps a list of poisonous mushrooms.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:26 pm

Tonio are you sure that you don't really want to pick the "wrong" type of mushroom?

RB

Tonio

Post by Tonio » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:22 pm

MWP admin : Tnks I'll be checking out the release.

RB : I don't see how anyone sane enough would want to pick a poisonous mushroom.

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:33 pm

Plenty of "sane" people might be interested, for the wrong reasons, one of which you mentioned yourself.

Sorry but the way you placed the q suggested as much.

RB

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:02 pm

I want to intervene on a different note here...

Dear Tonio (and all others), be aware that the Fungi are decreasing very bad from our islands, mostly because of the warming climate, lack of hosts and decreasing land. The picking of mushrooms for eating is the last thing that fungi need at this critical situation..

If you are interested in fungi, take good photos, make a catalog, submit them to my website (maybe someone would be interested to buy an image), but for their sake don't pick them up.

If you are hungry, order a Pizza funghi from Pizza hut :P :headbang:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

Tonio

Post by Tonio » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:40 am

haha yeah I'll keep that in mind. But what I do is take one speciment and take a spore print. Thats enough to get something going in a garden or inside tray.

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Post by Conchiolin » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:28 pm

YIPEE finally a guy whose interested in mushrooms. :-D Hi Tonio very happy to meet you in this superb forum! About the pickin of mushrooms that it reduces the diversity etc etc. Yeah that's what i believed but once the mushroom produces its spores the cap has no more use to the mycelium (right?) so in a way you're doing no harm when using ripe and fully mature caps.

Yeah about culturing Mr.Tonio. You can't culture every mushroom (i' m sure you know this already but i'm sayin this for the others) example it's very difficult to culture the pine boletus since it needs a special substrate and it's usually in symbiosis with the Pinus or the Morel (edible highly priced mushroom but very rare) is also very difficult to cultivate another example is the pretty russula which grows under a certain species of cistus. The only 2 you're safe with is the Pleurotus Eryngii and the Agaricus Bisporis man.

Hope you're not lookin for those mushrooms like psilocybe cubensis for some fun eee :wink: (Just kiddin of course).

Interesting topic Mr.Tonio.
no man needs a holiday as much as the man who just had one.

Tonio

Post by Tonio » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:37 am

Hi Conchiolin, happy to meet you too.
Tnks a lot for the info, just what I'm asking for..what to look for when I'm going for a walk.
Yes i agree with you, once the veil breaks and the spores are dropped the mushroom has little use apart from nutrition. But I guess once it dies it's also good nutrition for the soil and mycelium living under it.