What are these - can they be caught?

Posts and messages that concern life in the sea, including fish, coral, crustaceans, and aquatic fauna of the Maltese islands. Note that there is another dedicated topic for Molluscs (Snails, clams, etc)

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

MWP admin
Site Admin

What are these - can they be caught?

Post by MWP admin » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:36 pm

While having a nice bathe at Fekruna bay (near Xemxija Church) a group of 4 young chinese men came nearby and spent half an hour or so snorkeling. They caught numerous of these harmless ugly marine creatures which looked like sausages (or human s#!t).

Do they have an edible use? Chinese cuisine perhaps? Substitute for seaweed?

Is it Ok to catch them or they are some protected marine species ?
Attachments
marineSausages.JPG
What are these - marine sausages ?
marineSausages.JPG (260.15 KiB) Viewed 40905 times
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

sandra

Post by sandra » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:49 pm

It is a type of Echinoderm called a sea cucumber. They are harmless creatures. This specimen might be a white spot cucumber .. Holothuria polii. and lives at a depth between 1-30m. Usually common on sandy bottoms. As far as I know no protection status.

I never thought of them as a culinary delicacy. But I guess the chinese are great at these things.

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:08 am

Thanks for sharing the knowledge...
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:04 am

the chinese pickle them and also eat them raw. they say its good for the manhood. :D :D :shock: :D :D . i guess you must be chinese to make such sacrifices.
but chinese have a saying that they eat everything with four legs except chairs and tables. they should add they eat everything with any number of or without legs. :lol: :lol: :lol:

sandra

Post by sandra » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:27 pm

Oh dear! They never go hungry I guess. I've heard they eat all sorts of things and their natural remedies include a variety of species some of which are endangered.

Im not sure if its the chinese but somewhere they even dessicate sea horses and grate them as some cure. Poor things! I never even got to see one in the wild myself.

MWP admin
Site Admin

More info about Sea cucumbers

Post by MWP admin » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:18 am

Sea cucumbers = holothurians.

Seven species of Holothuria have been recorded from the Maltese Islands, including Holothuria polii, but definite identification is only possible with examination of certain microcopic features since all species of Holothuria look superficially alike.

The Japanese eat sea cucumbers of various species as do the Chinese and the Malays etc. If anybody wants more information, look up 'trepang' or 'beche-de-mer'.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

Conchiolin
Veteran member

Post by Conchiolin » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:04 pm

OK this sea cucmber is commonly known as "Qallut il-Bahar" (due to its particular shape,size and colour!!! please don't make me translate the name in english.) in Maltese or "Buzzu tal-Bahar" as described in Wildlife of the Maltese islands but i think it's been couched in euphemistic language...... :lol:

An interesting defence mechanism is that the Sea cucmber ejects a viscous liquid that solidifies when it comes into contact with water and if threatened seriously it ejects its stomach towards the predator as a divergent and after some time the stomach is regenerated. I wish i could do that. I would throw my viscera to every predator who annoys me. 8) :cry:

According to the book the Holothuria tubulosa is Very Common. So i don't think it's protected but i think it's a benign organism, it eats the organic debris found in the sand much like an earthworm in the soil.
no man needs a holiday as much as the man who just had one.

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:52 pm

must say this is all very interesting... but I think I will skip dinner tonight

Hi Sdravko - welcome back

wolf

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:53 pm

must say this is all very interesting... but I think I will skip dinner tonight

Hi Sdravko - welcome back

wolf