BICREF upcoming seminars

Posts and messages that concern life in the sea, including fish, coral, crustaceans, and aquatic fauna of the Maltese islands. Note that there is another dedicated topic for Molluscs (Snails, clams, etc)

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

sandra

BICREF upcoming seminars

Post by sandra » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:34 pm

Bicref will be holding two seminars during july. I'm posting some information for those of you who may be interested. I shall be there on the 15th giving a talk entitled ' Methods to study marine and terrestrial biodiversity - survey techniques adopted by BICREF'

While our coastal waters are crowded with jellyfish and further from the coast there are increasing numbers of baracudas and new marine organisms appearing which are not typical of our sea, there are many other marine animals that are decreasing in numbers such as octopi, groupers and shark species. What is happening to our sea?

Toward understanding our wonderful sea and its natural resources and vulnerabilities, The Biological Conservation Research Foundation (BICREF) is organising summer seminars to be held on the 8th and 15th of July.

Various topics will be covered, from jellyfish to turtles and dolphins; from coastal biodiversity and the value of marine conservation areas to various marine animal behaviours; from ecotourism to impacts of various fishing gear. Many of your curiosities about our sea are discussed, making these events relevant for all those that have our sea at heart.

Participants are able to learn up to date facts, side by side with methods used to continue assisting ongoing BICREF marine conservation research. It is also an opportunity to understand why and how BICREF's voluntary work is essential toward promoting marine conservation around the Maltese Islands.

Persons interested in joining these activities may contact BICREF on bicref@gmail.com or write to: BICREF, PO BOX 30, Hamrun.

Visit the BICREF website to learn more about the Biological Conservation Research Foundation: http://sites.keyworld.net/bicref/

MWP admin
Site Admin

TNX for the 1st marine post on MWP

Post by MWP admin » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:57 pm

Very interesting though I am not much into since I am afraid of diving. Thanks for posting the first post for the marine section. Hope we see this section grow a bit more too...
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

sandra

Post by sandra » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:16 pm

There's always a first time! Many volunteers are actually non divers. We also do snorkelling surveys and coastal terrestrial surveys which involve a lot of data collection. Some like myself are biologists and hold a diving qualification but many are just nature lovers.