Give it your best shot...

Post anything you like about the flora of the Maltese islands.

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

RB
Premium Member

Give it your best shot...

Post by RB » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:59 pm

I have this growing with a Leylandii tree, it likely came in the same pot before planting out. I very nearly was going to zap it as initially it looked rather "weedy" but gave it a second chance it might be something interesting. Any ideas? It's NOT Nerium oleander, there are the red veins and the leaves are smoother, although may be related, I have no idea. Tell me before I do an Eminem on it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

RB
Attachments
DSCF1821 (Medium).JPG
DSCF1821 (Medium).JPG (86.75 KiB) Viewed 17867 times

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:43 am

Just a quick reply... Have you checked what in English is called Gromwell, makes violet trumpet-shaped flowers.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:35 pm

Just have, no it does not seem to be, well OK it isn't. It does have leaves with some resemblance to the ornamental plant commonly used for hedging in Malta, which is also mentioned in Weber's latest, and which name I don't have to hand. But again it's not it, may be related.

Anyone else? Or shall I take a photo at 0.000001232 mm distance of an individual cell and then we'll have 1000 responses in 5 minutes ;-) just joking of course!

RB

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:04 pm

yes, looks like a young Myoporum

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:55 pm

definitely not Myoporum. No serrated margins and, more important, opposite leaves. my first guess was an oleander but not so sure any more. i would say its a seedling of some ornamental asclepiaceae or apocynaceae. you can either leave it until it flowers or if you remove it you can look if it has milky sap.
i would not recommend you to eat it although from the taste and from your symptomps i might be able to get some clue. :D

RB
Premium Member

Post by RB » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:04 am

Well I'm inviting everyone around for salad ;-) that way we'll have a larger "sample" for research purposes...

Apart, it's definitely not ordinary Nerium oleander as I often have seedlings of these just popping up uninvited and there are differences:

N.o.: No red veins; Rough-ish texture to leaves; much stiffer stem; darker green leaves.

In fact the N.o. juvenile plant is very much identical to the adult, apart from the scale.

May try to lift it to somewhere else in a couple of months, if it's interesting I would not want to lose it, OR leave it there when it will become impossible to move.

RB

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:35 am

yes, you are right. no oleander. it looks familiar but i can not place it. would still opt for apocynaceae or asclepidaceae, though.