A POOR FLORA ?

Post anything you like about the flora of the Maltese islands.

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

wolf
Veteran member

A POOR FLORA ?

Post by wolf » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:33 pm

I found this staement in a pdf document on maltese wall flora

The vascular plant flora of the island groups is with some 900 species astonishingly
poor. The reasons could be the very low differences in altitude and sea-level
changes in the past. The main reason however is likely to be the high density of
population (about 1220 inhabitants per km²
unquote

do we have a poor flora ? I would not say so

please discuss

wolf

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:14 pm

We have to see/know how much species there are in other (Mediterrenean) islands, becasue I think the author is making a relative comparison. Who is the author/ document name? Regards endemics (about 20 species), we are relatively poor for an island with plenty of sun and various habitats.
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

{Comments} {Donation} {Recommendations}

wolf
Veteran member

Post by wolf » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:52 pm

believe Cyprus with some 1600 species is richest in the Med - but I may be wrong. The Greek part of Cyprus alone however is already about ten times as big as Malta....

wolf

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:39 pm

Well! Maybe they did not take the size of the islands in consideration.

robcar
Veteran member

Post by robcar » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:06 pm

"It is most remarkable that on these small islands there is about half the number of flowering plants as in the whole of Germany!"

"The main reason for Malta's remarkable biodiversity is its interesting and obvious geology, with...."

Wild Plants of Malta pg 11 H.C Weber

I think that for comparison purposes, species richness has to be calculated as number of species per unit area, such as species per km squared and only then can it be compared with other countries including Mediterranean islands.

MWP administrator, you should ask the opinion of the idiot who robbed your car - he must have read Weber's book by now :!: :lol: :lol:

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:08 pm

Another possible reason that several islands in the Mediterranean are expected to have a larger floral biodiversity is the migration of birds (and humans?!) between the neighbouring continents.

I still think (quite sure to say the truth wolf) that the author is comparing islands of the mediterranean rather with other countries. Cyprus has 1800 species, of which 125 are endemic. Compared to this, Malta has poor flora, but compared to Germany, considering the large size, we have relatively a large number.

Similarly, Crete has 2000 species of which 200 are indigenous.

I dont know Sicily but since it has a a diverse geology (from mountains to volcanic, arid, forrest, sand-dunes and coastal), I am sure it has a rich flora too.

The question that I know it has a difficult answer is: How many plants we have in Malta nowadays - still 1000??? If so why we always see the usuall 200-300 plants in all flora books on our bookshop/library shelves (except the new one from weber which touches nearly 600 species) after his and his assistant(s) and students intensive research on our islands. I suspect it does not superate 750.

And how many plants we had say in the 15th century?

Is Malta the most country in the Med that is loosing our species quickly? Is it due to overpopulation / rapid urbanisation?

Where are the local botanists/ authorities to shout the alarm?

Robcar----------------

Nice way to say to Weber that you also have the book! 8) :lol:

Please dont remind me of the car again :cry: 2 days I mentioned the car on the post I had an accident :-( :cry: :twisted:
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

robcar
Veteran member

Post by robcar » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:32 pm

Ok MWP, you are right - After all cars do not really have much place on a plant forum :!: Sorry about the accident - hope it is nothing serious :(

I am sure that all of us hardcore members have bought Weber's book. There is not much published about local plants and I am sure we all try to keep up to date with what is published.

I simply put these quotes to to add to this discussion since it seems that H.C. Weber is of the opinion that we have a pretty diverse flora for our small islands.

I would be interesting if H.C.Weber has anything further to add to this discussion.

jackpot
Botanical Expert

Post by jackpot » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:22 am

:lol: he he- now I know which five Maltese people bought Webers first book (beside the 1 million tourists) btw: exactly 2 years after it received in print he did not receive 1 cent (he told me :cry: !!

However (number of species): this is relatively, like the theory from Einstein. I like the example: 1 hair on the head is relatively few, 1 hair in the soup is relatively much (sorry about my English) :)
If Malta would not have an interesting flora and the Maltese would know that they live together with a floral pearl- I would not care about it. You still have about 800 indigenous species (more or less), plus 200 interesting aliens (in the wild), plus 300 ornamentals grown at public sites... In fact- dont care about the numbers, especially number of endemics. I hate this discussion, similar to the one about the size of a penis (sorry). We all know that numbers and sizes are absolutely not important. Are 20 endemics few? If you would have only 1 endemic on the Islands, this should be a reason enough to protect the whole island. If you like we can continue this discussion in April.... :wink:

MWP admin
Site Admin

Post by MWP admin » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:41 am

exactly 2 years after it received in print he did not receive 1 cent (he told me !!)
Are you serious that he have not paid you anything? What type of contract you did? The best contract is that he pays you straight away the first say 500 copies, while those sold after he gets all the profit (or large percentage / or percentage in steps).

If it was me I would have destroyed his office with him :P unless he shows me the accounts books, or in a more civilised way, I would hire a private auditor to investigate the case (no smileys). I call this cheating at the best.

Regards the relatively comment I have both opinions of yes and no and it is quite puzzling. Gozo is 3 times smaller from Malta but more or less the same or even more number of species, while germany is err.. 100 times larger!? but only twice as much. In a tropical island with very little human interaction I would bet that the indigenous and probably the endemic biodiversity would be very large!

So I think the clue key is urbanisation and repect to nature from the civilisation of the place, and both aspects are not in favour to our biodiversity in Malta, where the mentality has been / is "take all that is free before someone else takes it before you!"

I think on this all maltese agrees!
Stephen Mifsud
Administrator

IL-PINE
Premium Member

Post by IL-PINE » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:53 pm

I agree with our German professor. We should protect our biodiversity because it is unique and fullstop.

Sdravko
Veteran member

Post by Sdravko » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:53 am

about Maltese endemics: think they are many more than 20. and there are a lot of species which look very different in Malta than elsewhere but the number of endemics always depends on the number of taxonomists working on a particular flora. :)