Wied Blandun re-afforestation

Post anything you like about the flora of the Maltese islands.

Moderators: MWP admin, IL-PINE

RB
Premium Member

Wied Blandun re-afforestation

Post by RB » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:27 pm

Currently in final phases, the Parks dept of the MRAE are planting literally hundreds of trees at Wied Blandun.

Thankfully, this is not a line-them-up exercise, but rather an attempt to simulate random natural planting. They are also using a variety of species, from the obvious Aleppo through Laurel, Olive, Almond, Myrtle, Pistacia, and possible a couple more that I forget.

All in all, a very good thing indeed.

One I don't understand is why they did also plant a few Myrtus communis var. tarentina, this is the small-leaved type possibly not native, I do not know whether this is a natural ssp or whether purely a cultivar. Still...

Not only, when I indicated as to their locations, they stayed pretty clear with their brushcutters of the areas where there are wild plants of great interest, so although they did a lot of drastic cleaning up, it was done with a degree of respect.

I now hope that these trees will be given a chance to survive by the undesirables who often frequent the area.

RB

D. Cilia

Post by D. Cilia » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:19 pm

Good news, I hope your last sentence is actualised. Some spots are literally choked with the used plastic syringes. That place would be a truly beautiful valley if people just leave it alone.

Did the afforestation project include extermination of the Arundo? It clogs up far too much of the place.