Search found 3 matches

by llawrence
Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:35 pm
Forum: Open discussion about Maltese flora
Topic: Ink derived from Chrozophora tinctoria
Replies: 5
Views: 26192

Hi Stephen: I boiled water and mixed it 50/50 with rubbing alcohol, which is about 70% ethanol. I could smell the alcohol in the dye solution until it evaporated off, and I believe this is when the hue began to shift. I'm surprised by the alkaline for red, I had thought it was the other way around. ...
by llawrence
Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:14 pm
Forum: Open discussion about Maltese flora
Topic: Ink derived from Chrozophora tinctoria
Replies: 5
Views: 26192

I wish I had taken photos throughout the color shift, but here is the final folium red:

Image
Image
by llawrence
Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:56 pm
Forum: Open discussion about Maltese flora
Topic: Ink derived from Chrozophora tinctoria
Replies: 5
Views: 26192

Hi all. I gave this ink a try after receiving some of the fruit shells. I used probably too much liquid for the amount of shells I had, but it turned out for the best, since in the diluted liquid I was able to observe the changes the color makes. It started out a beautiful aqua color, then shifted f...