| About Entrez
Help | FAQ
Single Citation Matcher
Batch Citation Matcher
[Colchicine poisoning by
accidental ingestion of the bulbs of Sandersonia aurantiaca: report of a
[Article in Japanese]
Miyamoto M, Takata T.
Department of Internal Medicine, Public
We report a case of colchicine poisoning in an
82-year-old woman. She had suffered from senile dementia and in her
confused state ingested two bulbs of Sandersonia aurantiaca
(Christmas-bells, Chinese lantern lily). She was admitted complaining of
gastrointestinal symptoms, mainly severe watery diarrhea. The duration
of her diarrhea was approximately 40 hours. On the 3rd day after
ingestion, leukopenia and thrombocytopenia occurred. Although 50
micrograms of granulocyte-colony stimulating factor was administered
from the 5th day to the 8th day, her white blood cell count did not
increase and revealed nadir (100/microliter) on the 7th day. Her
platelet count also revealed nadir on the 7th day. She died of
respiratory failure in the early morning of the 9th day. The bulb of
Sandersonia was found to contain colchicine at a concentration of 4.7
mg/g, and her serum level of colchicine was 6.3 ng/ml on the 6th day.
Colchicine is an alkaroid extractable from the plants like Colchicum
autumnale (meadow saffron, autumn crocus), and Gloriosa supra tuber.
These plants belong to the lily family. Sandersonia aurantiaca also
belongs to the lily family and we found that its bulb contained
colchicine. To our knowledge, this is the first report of colchicine
poisoning by Sandersonia aurantiaca.
PMID: 12607936 [PubMed - indexed for